The Student Room Group

changing from learning disabilities nursing to childrens and adults

I am going into my second year of learning disabilities nursing, i have realised that it is more community and adults based and i want to work in a acute medical setting with children and throughout the years perhaps go onto adults, I don't know where to start and am worried about wasting my years, has anyone else been in his kind of decision? Any support or advice would be appreciated
Reply 1
If you want to work in an acute medical children's setting, children's nursing is the obvious better option. Just bear in mind that, as a children's nurse, you can't randomly start working in the adult field (although bizarrely adult nurses can work in neonates and do SCPHN to be a health visitor or school nurse...), and conversion courses from adult field to children's are few and far between but don't really seem to exist the other way round.

You need to talk to the university NOW - and don't delay things, leaving it past the end if 1st year means you're more likely to get the answer of "no" to switching fields (even now is leaving it extremely fine).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending