The Student Room Group

NVQ or Nursing degree

So, I’m currently doing my NVQ3 in my workplace, I work with adults with autism and learning disabilities and have the chance to then do my levels 4 and 5 but I’ve also got a conditional offer to study adult nursing at uni in September which means I wouldn’t be finishing my NVQ3, do I continue working and focus on my NVQs or go to uni and get my nursing degree? I don’t know if there’s anyway I could still move up to nursing with my NVQs or not,
Thankyou!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by BTom1998
So, I’m currently doing my NVQ3 in my workplace, I work with adults with autism and learning disabilities and have the chance to then do my levels 4 and 5 but I’ve also got a conditional offer to study adult nursing at uni in September which means I wouldn’t be finishing my NVQ3, do I continue working and focus on my NVQs or go to uni and get my nursing degree? I don’t know if there’s anyway I could still move up to nursing with my NVQs or not,
Thankyou!

It all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to be an adult nurse? Whats the offer conditional on? Considering your background, does learning disability nursing appeal to you?
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
It all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to be an adult nurse? Whats the offer conditional on? Considering your background, does learning disability nursing appeal to you?

The offers conditional on my DBS and health check, I do enjoy my job in learning disabilities, I didn’t get accepted on the learning disability nursing degree but they did say that if I do decide to change after the first year I can put the request in then as all nursing degrees study the same subjects in first year anyway, i only didn’t get accepted because they said my personal statement was more tailored to adult than learning disability, I struggled to tailor it to both, I just don’t know whether I’d be better continuing with my NVQs or going to university, I’m not sure which would give me the most opportunities in the long run
Reply 3
The offers conditional on my DBS and health check, I do enjoy my job in learning disabilities, I didn’t get accepted on the learning disability nursing degree but they did say that if I do decide to change after the first year I can put the request in then as all nursing degrees study the same subjects in first year anyway, i only didn’t get accepted because they said my personal statement was more tailored to adult than learning disability, I struggled to tailor it to both, I just don’t know whether I’d be better continuing with my NVQs or going to university, I’m not sure which would give me the most opportunities in the long run

There's no guarantee that you'll be able to switch branches, as it depends on whether theres spaces for you to move. Like I said before, it all really depends on where you would like to see your career going? Would you be happy working as an adult nurse? It's a broad and varied area of nursing. Or does your passion lie with working with people with learning disabilities? If its the latter, then it might be worthwhile to carry on where you are with your NVQs and consider applying for nursing next time round with a PS that's tailored to that branch of nursing.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Thankyou so much for your help! I’d definitely love to do adult nursing, I just wasn’t sure whether there’s another route I could get into this through my NVQs or whether I would have to do my nursing degree
There's no guarantee that you'll be able to switch branches, as it depends on whether theres spaces for you to move. Like I said before, it all really depends on where you would like to see your career going? Would you be happy working as an adult nurse? It's a broad and varied area of nursing. Or does your passion lie with working with people with learning disabilities? If its the latter, then it might be worthwhile to carry on where you are with your NVQs and consider applying for nursing next time round with a PS that's tailored to that branch of nursing.
Reply 5
Thankyou so much for your help! I’d definitely love to do adult nursing, I just wasn’t sure whether there’s another route I could get into this through my NVQs or whether I would have to do my nursing degree

No, to be a registered nurse you need to have studied a nursing degree, either through the traditional university route or through a degree apprenticeship. Your NVQs may be accepted by some places as entry qualifications (though I presume you already meet these if you have an offer).

Good luck with whatever direction you choose to take. :smile:
Reply 6
No, to be a registered nurse you need to have studied a nursing degree, either through the traditional university route or through a degree apprenticeship. Your NVQs may be accepted by some places as entry qualifications (though I presume you already meet these if you have an offer).

Good luck with whatever direction you choose to take. :smile:

Thankyou so much! Honestly, it’s really appreciated 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending