The Student Room Group

Confused about my future: ANY NURSES PLZ HELP

hii im in year 12 right now and i have no clue what i wanna do with my future, but i think i wanna be a nurse. if there's anyone who can give some advice plzz feel free to answer xx
all advice taken on board
Original post by Mari_07
hii im in year 12 right now and i have no clue what i wanna do with my future, but i think i wanna be a nurse. if there's anyone who can give some advice plzz feel free to answer xx

Hi,

I'm a 3rd year children's nursing student and would recommend nursing to everyone and anyone who has a passion for caring. Nursing is such a rewarding career and it's a career with lifelong learning which is rare to find. There are so many avenues available to study with nursing such as medical, surgical, mental health, intellectual disability and children.

I'm not going to lie and say it is an easy degree as it definitely is not but if you are passionate about nursing then it is so worth it. The placement and theory is very heavy with needing to complete 2300 hours in placement but the amount of learning opportunities on both placement and in theory sessions is incredible. And honestly getting to help others is a feeling like no other!

I hope this has helped you. I would advise you to attend some taster days and open days of some universities that offer nursing and get a feel for the courses they offer to see if it is the right fit for you.

Best wishes,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing
Reply 2
Original post by Mari_07

Hi
I tend to agree with reply 1 to you.
Look at getting as much information about nursing to help you with any decisions.

Nursing is very rewarding when you qualify.
Nursing is hard work but it worth it as you know that you are helping those people who are ill 🤧🤧.

You should perhaps apply for a job as a auxiliary nurse or HCA to gain some experience ( if you are old enough to apply), plus it will show you what nursing is all about and then if you think it is for you then apply for a nursing degree course at university. You can also ask about volunteering work at weekends on hospital wards etc.

A NHS registered midwife
Reply 3
Original post by Mari_07

Registered nurse here. I'd advise that you do the best you can in your A levels (aim for minimum BCC) and, once you've finished your A levels, get yourself a job as a HCA or care assistant. This will help you decide whether or not to go into nursing - and please remember that starting university over the age of 18 really isn't the end of the world!
Reply 4
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

I'm a 3rd year children's nursing student and would recommend nursing to everyone and anyone who has a passion for caring. Nursing is such a rewarding career and it's a career with lifelong learning which is rare to find. There are so many avenues available to study with nursing such as medical, surgical, mental health, intellectual disability and children.

I'm not going to lie and say it is an easy degree as it definitely is not but if you are passionate about nursing then it is so worth it. The placement and theory is very heavy with needing to complete 2300 hours in placement but the amount of learning opportunities on both placement and in theory sessions is incredible. And honestly getting to help others is a feeling like no other!

I hope this has helped you. I would advise you to attend some taster days and open days of some universities that offer nursing and get a feel for the courses they offer to see if it is the right fit for you.

Best wishes,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

thank youu so much
i defo will attend taster days
i hope ur enjoying uni😊😊
Original post by Mari_07

Hiya!

I failed my A levels the first time round with DDD due to personal issues, and if you’re put in the same position you can do an access to higher education course specified for nursing which is the equivalent to 3 A levels and will get you into some unis that have it as their entry requirements. Just so you’re aware that there are always other ways around getting into nursing.

I’d say get as much experience as possible, I worked as a HCA until i went to uni and did bank shifts for the same job whilst attending uni and it really helped me develop my knowledge.

Nursing is so so rewarding but it can also be very mentally and physically draining which is why i recommend getting experience first!! But if you’re really passionate about it then I would 100% recommend it as a career as it can be so broad. I know a girl who started in A&E and didn’t like it so moved to a different part of the hospital and loves it. I also saw a girl start as a nurse and go on to be a paramedic! There are so many opportunities as a registered nurse and it’s a brilliant career path, I wouldn’t change my job for the world!
Best of luck on your journey!
Original post by Mari_07

Hi @Mari_07

I am a first year Mental Health Nurse at Kingston University. In a nursing course you will usually spend half the time in university and the other half on placement. My experience of nursing is that is fast paced (but not unmanageable), applied (you get to practise everything you learned) and teamwork oriented. All nursing students learn about basic anatomy and physiology during the first year.

This is some information about the different types of nursing that may be of interest to you: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/adult-nurse, https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/mental-health-nurse, https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/childrens-nurse, https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/learning-disability-nurse.

Lastly, I only started nursing at 23, so I know you may feel a little bit behind, but you are actually ahead. A lot of people get in nursing through clearing. I applied late in July, and still got accepted.

Feel free to ask me more questions,
Hristiana (Kingston rep)
Reply 7
aww thank you so much everyone
yh i really wanna pursue either child or mental health nursing but someone told me that children's nursing is realllyy boring and so is mental health nursing
is this true?
xx
Hi @Mari_07
In my experience, Mental Health Nursing is never boring. I love working with people, hearing about their stories and being a part of their recovery journey. I am interested in mental health and how to prevent poor mental health. I believe that a lot of people struggle with their emotional well-being. I also enjoy learning about different medications, the correct way to do injections and take blood and how the body works. We are also thought to take the whole system approach where we see the person instead of the diagnosis. I can do a lot with my degree and work in different settings: inpatients, the community, as a therapy nurse (with more training), prison, and children's mental health services.

On the placement, I felt a part of the team and shadowed mental health nurses (mental health, adult and learning disability), doctors and psychiatrists. We work with different professionals during the placement because nurses are part of an interprofessional team.

There is a lot of documentation though - like new patients' assessment reports, risk assessments and discharge letters, as well as reading notes on their records. However, with practice, you become quicker at writing these. On the bright side, we have shorter essays than other mainly theoretical degrees have. I would say that overall it is interesting and every day is different. People are complex and when you work with them you get to learn their stories and create a therapeutic relationship. I get to apply a lot of therapy skills like active listening which I like.
Although, it can be emotionally hard on you as you are seeking people who are in a bad place and have been through a lot of trauma. Most of the patients are the kindest people I have ever met.

If it is okay to ask -what made you interested in nursing?
Hristiana (Kingston rep)
Reply 9
Original post by Mari_07
yh i really wanna pursue either child or mental health nursing but someone told me that children's nursing is realllyy boring and so is mental health nursing
is this true?
xx
Mental health nursing is far from boring.
Whoever has told you that may have had bad placements.
Community placements can be difficult, but if you get a good supervisor with a good caseload it can be so good. And if its a slow day you just ask other people in the office if they have any visits you can join. I had 2 fantastic visits that wernt with my supervisor when i was with CMHT.
Placements are what you make them i think.
Reply 10
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi @Mari_07
In my experience, Mental Health Nursing is never boring. I love working with people, hearing about their stories and being a part of their recovery journey. I am interested in mental health and how to prevent poor mental health. I believe that a lot of people struggle with their emotional well-being. I also enjoy learning about different medications, the correct way to do injections and take blood and how the body works. We are also thought to take the whole system approach where we see the person instead of the diagnosis. I can do a lot with my degree and work in different settings: inpatients, the community, as a therapy nurse (with more training), prison, and children's mental health services.

On the placement, I felt a part of the team and shadowed mental health nurses (mental health, adult and learning disability), doctors and psychiatrists. We work with different professionals during the placement because nurses are part of an interprofessional team.

There is a lot of documentation though - like new patients' assessment reports, risk assessments and discharge letters, as well as reading notes on their records. However, with practice, you become quicker at writing these. On the bright side, we have shorter essays than other mainly theoretical degrees have. I would say that overall it is interesting and every day is different. People are complex and when you work with them you get to learn their stories and create a therapeutic relationship. I get to apply a lot of therapy skills like active listening which I like.
Although, it can be emotionally hard on you as you are seeking people who are in a bad place and have been through a lot of trauma. Most of the patients are the kindest people I have ever met.

If it is okay to ask -what made you interested in nursing?
Hristiana (Kingston rep)
well first i wanted to be a therapist, but then i took a careers quiz and child nursing came up as one of the options (and i've always always wanted to work with children) and then i looked it up on the NHS website, and i dont really know what it was but it looked like something i could really see myself doing, as i don't exactly want to be aa doctor, but i want to work in a hospital environment and also have flexible work. also my aunty is a nurse and she said its the best thing she ever did so yh
(and ofc its okay to ask😊😊)
Reply 11
Original post by PonchoKid
Mental health nursing is far from boring.
Whoever has told you that may have had bad placements.
Community placements can be difficult, but if you get a good supervisor with a good caseload it can be so good. And if its a slow day you just ask other people in the office if they have any visits you can join. I had 2 fantastic visits that wernt with my supervisor when i was with CMHT.
Placements are what you make them i think.
then i think i'll definitely consider going into that then because i just don't want a boring job, where i do the same thing over and over you know ty x
Original post by Mari_07
is this true?
xx
First year MH nurse student just come off placement it was far from boring it was amazing! but you need to have the interest in MH and the conditions and want to learn more! I found trauma especially interesting. There are so many opportunities after I'm finished I want to do advance practice and be able to help more and prescribe medications etc at our placement I was amazed at what the advanced practitioners could prescribe without a doctor all controlled drugs! It was amazing to see what they can do it's an extra 2 years on top for me I'm already doing 4 years with honours but I want to help from start to finish as much as I can. I'm sure whatever you decide you'll love it. I won't lie it's tough and hard going so much to learn and do and we don't get the same amount of time off as other students I'm in my 30s and I'm not the oldest so whatever age life experience has really helped me too!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Kimmy121212
First year MH nurse student just come off placement it was far from boring it was amazing! but you need to have the interest in MH and the conditions and want to learn more! I found trauma especially interesting. There are so many opportunities after I'm finished I want to do advance practice and be able to help more and prescribe medications etc at our placement I was amazed at what the advanced practitioners could prescribe without a doctor all controlled drugs! It was amazing to see what they can do it's an extra 2 years on top for me I'm already doing 4 years with honours but I want to help from start to finish as much as I can. I'm sure whatever you decide you'll love it. I won't lie it's tough and hard going so much to learn and do and we don't get the same amount of time off as other students I'm in my 30s and I'm not the oldest so whatever age life experience has really helped me too!
ooohh that sounds fun but the work seems tough
i think partially due to my life experiences its made me rlly interested in mental health and helping other ppl who suffer from it
ty xx
Original post by Mari_07
ooohh that sounds fun but the work seems tough
i think partially due to my life experiences its made me rlly interested in mental health and helping other ppl who suffer from it
ty xx
That's the reason most of us go into it. So you're already in it for the right reasons! 😁 Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending