The Student Room Group

st dominics vs william perkin CofE

I've applied to both william perkin and st doms and I've gotten offers from both as well as enrolling to both but I'm still stuck between these two schools and need some advice as to where to go ? If there's any past students please give brutally honest opinions thank you x
Original post by zuzannaforma
I've applied to both william perkin and st doms and I've gotten offers from both as well as enrolling to both but I'm still stuck between these two schools and need some advice as to where to go ? If there's any past students please give brutally honest opinions thank you x

Hey I'm in the same position as you. I've got offers from both but I've decided to go to wp cuz over there we're allowed to do 4 whereas in st doms we can only do 3. Another thing to consider is that st doms have only medics scholar program (as far as I know so please correct me if I'm wrong) whereas WP has a medics scholar as well as an engineers scholar , humanities scholar , Oxbridge program and various other programs (another reason I chose WP) . Their both good in the own ways so it depends on what you want to do and where you'll feel like you fit in.
Original post by alvinagiala
Hey I'm in the same position as you. I've got offers from both but I've decided to go to wp cuz over there we're allowed to do 4 whereas in st doms we can only do 3. Another thing to consider is that st doms have only medics scholar program (as far as I know so please correct me if I'm wrong) whereas WP has a medics scholar as well as an engineers scholar , humanities scholar , Oxbridge program and various other programs (another reason I chose WP) . Their both good in the own ways so it depends on what you want to do and where you'll feel like you fit in.

Heyy, I'm only aware of st doms having the medics programme and the oxbridge programme. They also provide the EPQ and i think I'm leaning towards st doms as william perkin have a much more stricter dress code as well as having many friends going st doms so i feel like i would be more comfortable there however it was a very hard choice as william perkin is an extremely good school and I'm sure well both do well no matter which one we go to :wink:
Heyy, I'm only aware of st doms having the medics programme and the oxbridge programme. They also provide the EPQ and i think I'm leaning towards st doms as william perkin have a much more stricter dress code as well as having many friends going st doms so i feel like i would be more comfortable there however it was a very hard choice as william perkin is an extremely good school and I'm sure well both do well no matter which one we go to :wink:

Hii , Thank you 😃 I hope you have a great time at st doms. It's an amazing school and most of the year I actually thought I would go there as some of friends are going there as well. Incase your wondering, William Perkins also offer an EPQ but your right WP does have a stricter dress code. Theres this discord group chat for people going to st doms. Tell me if your interested and I could add you in. 🙂
Hii , Thank you 😃 I hope you have a great time at st doms. It's an amazing school and most of the year I actually thought I would go there as some of friends are going there as well. Incase your wondering, William Perkins also offer an EPQ but your right WP does have a stricter dress code. Theres this discord group chat for people going to st doms. Tell me if your interested and I could add you in. 🙂

Hiii i would love to be added if that's possible, thank you so much x
Hiii i would love to be added if that's possible, thank you so much x

Sure 😃
Reply 6

Add me to te discord
Original post by Sm05_10
Add me to te discord

Sure 😃

hey could I be added to the discord as well x do u have an invite link ?
Reply 9
Sure 😃

How do i join is there a link, name is sm#6009
Check your private messages , I've sent it there :smile:

hey! I go st doms, if you have any questions do let me know! What subjects are you planning to do?
Original post by studyholmes
hey! I go st doms, if you have any questions do let me know! What subjects are you planning to do?

Hi ! I’m going to st doms, I was just wondering how supportive the teachers are ? I am quite worried as it’s a large sixth form college teachers won’t take that much time to get to know and help pupils.
Original post by Montinaguinea
Hi ! I’m going to st doms, I was just wondering how supportive the teachers are ? I am quite worried as it’s a large sixth form college teachers won’t take that much time to get to know and help pupils.

Yes to a certain degree, being independent is an important part of being in Doms and most of the work does rely on you putting in effort and personal time to ensure you get good grades - this definitely does prepare you for university where nearly everything is independent!

However, your teachers are always open and happy to help you if you don't understand something in lesson or if you want to talk about anything. The class sizes are about the same as high school classes and we're also given emails - so if you find that you need academic support you can contact your subject teacher in school hours if you need any answers. We also have form tutors, who discuss your grades with you and are there to make sure you feel heard and are completing the work to your full potential. There's also Study+ which is a quiet area for revision, or if you feel you need more academic support, you can speak to them & they'll be happy to help. Furthermore, there's also a careers advisor, so when the time comes for considering what you want to do after sixth form - she's happy to help you figure things out.

Your worries are definitely understandable, but there's a lot of support from teachers and you're in the same boat as everyone else in your year so don't feel as though you're going to go through this new experience alone! :h:
Yes to a certain degree, being independent is an important part of being in Doms and most of the work does rely on you putting in effort and personal time to ensure you get good grades - this definitely does prepare you for university where nearly everything is independent!

However, your teachers are always open and happy to help you if you don't understand something in lesson or if you want to talk about anything. The class sizes are about the same as high school classes and we're also given emails - so if you find that you need academic support you can contact your subject teacher in school hours if you need any answers. We also have form tutors, who discuss your grades with you and are there to make sure you feel heard and are completing the work to your full potential. There's also Study+ which is a quiet area for revision, or if you feel you need more academic support, you can speak to them & they'll be happy to help. Furthermore, there's also a careers advisor, so when the time comes for considering what you want to do after sixth form - she's happy to help you figure things out.

Your worries are definitely understandable, but there's a lot of support from teachers and you're in the same boat as everyone else in your year so don't feel as though you're going to go through this new experience alone! :h:

Great thank you ! I can’t lie I think the whole idea of going to a larger college is making me a bit anxious - throughout school I’ve been quite reliant on having a good relationship with my teachers, allowing me to get advice and have extra work marked whenever. I’m also quite a high achiever and have always found being a “teachers pet” more motivating. Also I hate change so I like the security net of it all. But I understand this is probably a good stepping point for uni. Still quiet anxious tho 😅
Original post by Montinaguinea
Great thank you ! I can’t lie I think the whole idea of going to a larger college is making me a bit anxious - throughout school I’ve been quite reliant on having a good relationship with my teachers, allowing me to get advice and have extra work marked whenever. I’m also quite a high achiever and have always found being a “teachers pet” more motivating. Also I hate change so I like the security net of it all. But I understand this is probably a good stepping point for uni. Still quiet anxious tho 😅

Yes I definitely understand!! It’s a big jump for anyone, I know for me, I was super nervous starting at doms - it took a good couple of months for me to really get a hang of the new environment, especially since my highschool was quite small and everyone knew eachtoher. However you still develop a good relationship with your teachers! I know in the science department, there’s a teacher there which everyone loves and she’s so nice to each of her students/ jokes around with them all. In my English class, we would always have fun discussions with our teacher and she knew each of us individually and would arrange 1to1s to discuss our coursework or how we were feeling about our upcoming exams. So don’t worry at all! I know it’s easier said than done, but you’re going to have a great time here, trust me! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sm05_10
Add me to te discord

can I be added to the discord as well? you can pm me the link, thanks :smile:

Is the discord still a thing? 😭 im hella confused which one to go to
Reply 18

Hey i really want to go st doms as most of my friends are going and I live nearby. However, I reckon i will only get a 6.0 average as a hindu. I do 11 subjects but will fail spanish (3). Do you think it is worth applying, comes results day?
Reply 19
Check your private messages , I've sent it there :smile:

is the discord still open??? i wld like to join

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending