The Student Room Group

Law student trying to demonstrate interest in finance

I've been focusing on solely corporate law but have decided to also try my hand at some IB internships. Would participating in the finance society be sufficient to demonstrate my interest in IB and make me a competitive applicant for internships? Of course i will change the points regarding my more broad activities and say how they link to more releveant competencies within IB.
Participating? No. Anyone with 5 minutes and £5 can become a member. Taking on a position of responsibility? Yes.
Reply 2
Original post by anonuser99
Participating? No. Anyone with 5 minutes and £5 can become a member. Taking on a position of responsibility? Yes.

Only a few people can get positions of responsibility. Could you recommend any other ways i could demonstrate my commitment to finance?

Edit: Lol just to be clear, i will try get a position of responsibility, i just want backup options as I imagine everyone in there is trying to get one.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Scrooo
Only a few people can get positions of responsibility. Could you recommend any other ways i could demonstrate my commitment to finance?

Edit: Lol just to be clear, i will try get a position of responsibility, i just want backup options as I imagine everyone in there is trying to get one.

Learn what investment banking is/what the different divisions do and talk about them when prompted in applications/interviews. Going to events hosted by the banks is also good too + reading the FT or relevant outlets regularly. Work experience is the most important thing though.
Theyre kind of a meme but you could do the bright network/forage virtual internships. Just as a way to show interest.

Would also help to know what year you're in now
Reply 5
Original post by leviticus.
Learn what investment banking is/what the different divisions do and talk about them when prompted in applications/interviews. Going to events hosted by the banks is also good too + reading the FT or relevant outlets regularly. Work experience is the most important thing though.

Yeah, i already plan to do this. My main concern is that i'm not going to get to the stage of interviews because i've been unable to demonstrate any commitment to finance, other than perhaps attending some events. For example, i will be mooting, doing competitions and some other things to show i am passionate about Law. For finance im just some academics and broad core competencies.
Original post by Scrooo
Yeah, i already plan to do this. My main concern is that i'm not going to get to the stage of interviews because i've been unable to demonstrate any commitment to finance, other than perhaps attending some events. For example, i will be mooting, doing competitions and some other things to show i am passionate about Law. For finance im just some academics and broad core competencies.

I'd focus on landing an interview right now lol, if you're a first year there isn't a ton you can do to land springs except apply early/demonstrate a passable interest and be lucky. If you're applying to internships/grad roles then the story is different.
Reply 7
I'd focus on landing an interview right now lol, if you're a first year there isn't a ton you can do to land springs except apply early/demonstrate a passable interest and be lucky. If you're applying to internships/grad roles then the story is different.

I appreciate the advice, but i feel like you're not even reading what i'm saying. "i'm not going to get to interviews due to no evident commitment to finance", "just focus on landing an interview".
Original post by Scrooo
I appreciate the advice, but i feel like you're not even reading what i'm saying. "i'm not going to get to interviews due to no evident commitment to finance", "just focus on landing an interview".

That’s on me I completely misread and thought you were saying you’re gonna flunk an interview. Sorry.

Though I’d say my first points were decent, read around the industry and figure out why you like x company and mention that in your application where you can —> cover letters and questions etc
Any non relevant work ex on your cv can go a long way too if you write about it well. There are investment and M&A competitions you can join during uni too.
That’s on me I completely misread and thought you were saying you’re gonna flunk an interview. Sorry.

Though I’d say my first points were decent, read around the industry and figure out why you like x company and mention that in your application where you can —> cover letters and questions etc
Any non relevant work ex on your cv can go a long way too if you write about it well. There are investment and M&A competitions you can join during uni too.

I worked at an investment bank during my 2 week year 10 work experience, would it be worth putting this on my cv? maybe leaving out when i did it...
Original post by houseofhumour
I worked at an investment bank during my 2 week year 10 work experience, would it be worth putting this on my cv? maybe leaving out when i did it...

Tough one if I’m honest ahahah year 10 is a little while away now; I’d say it’s better if someone more qualified answered.

100% definitely include the dates if you include it though you need to make sure your CV is consistent and dates are a vital inclusion. I think if you have nothing else then include it but perhaps an unrelated job that was more recent and has more quantifiable/tangible results would be better. I mean what did you do at said investment bank? If you were practising DCFs or market reports then it would def be a big thing to talk about. Huge grain of salt on this though excluding the dates point. Less sure if what I’ve said holds up. To be honest with you I’ve been lucky enough to see the CVs of a few people who crushed spring recruiting and got multiple offers; they didn’t seem to have relevant work ex but had other work ex that they spun very positively.
Reply 11

thank you :wink:
Tough one if I’m honest ahahah year 10 is a little while away now; I’d say it’s better if someone more qualified answered.

100% definitely include the dates if you include it though you need to make sure your CV is consistent and dates are a vital inclusion. I think if you have nothing else then include it but perhaps an unrelated job that was more recent and has more quantifiable/tangible results would be better. I mean what did you do at said investment bank? If you were practising DCFs or market reports then it would def be a big thing to talk about. Huge grain of salt on this though excluding the dates point. Less sure if what I’ve said holds up. To be honest with you I’ve been lucky enough to see the CVs of a few people who crushed spring recruiting and got multiple offers; they didn’t seem to have relevant work ex but had other work ex that they spun very positively.

cheers :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by anonuser99
Theyre kind of a meme but you could do the bright network/forage virtual internships. Just as a way to show interest.

Would also help to know what year you're in now

This comment only just came through for some reason. I'm going into first year in 2 weeks. But it feels as if everyone is prepared with work experience whilst i have literally none, relevant or non-relevant. So i'm trying to get a plan together so I know precisely what i need to aim for. At the moment it seems all i can do is apply to spring weeks and try get a position of responsibility when i join societies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending