The Student Room Group

Law personal statement Academic demonstration

Hi all, I'm starting a first draft of my personal statement (for an LLB Law course) and I was thinking of including my interest around how Law will keep up with the constantly changing external environment generally, then go into my specific interest of lawtech...

I was going to talk about specific articles I've read, but I'm now questioning whether it would be wise to talk about this or if I should instead mention much more core areas of the course instead, like tort law, instead of talking about something that will rarely pop up in the actual degree?

Generally, is it better to mention very niche topics about the course you're applying to, or to mention more general areas, like mentioning an intro to criminal law book for example?

Thanks!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by gregregregreg
Hi all, I'm starting a first draft of my personal statement (for an LLB Law course) and I was thinking of including my interest around how Law will keep up with the constantly changing external environment generally, then go into my specific interest of lawtech...

I was going to talk about specific articles I've read, but I'm now questioning whether it would be wise to talk about this or if I should instead mention much more core areas of the course instead, like tort law, instead of talking about something that will rarely pop up in the actual degree?

Generally, is it better to mention very niche topics about the course you're applying to, or to mention more general areas, like mentioning an intro to criminal law book for example?

Thanks!

Both are fine
As they are your interest in law
Hi there

It is good to hear that you are looking into different areas of law already. :smile:

I think both are really valid points to put into your personal statement. Whilst the specific interest of lawtech may not come up that frequently, it shows your understanding and interest in the legal field. Since you have read several articles on this, you can definitely reflect in-depth on these articles in your writing.

For the general areas of law, you can talk about them, but it would depend how much extra-readings or experience you have of these and how well you research the topic. Overall, just aiming to you demonstrate your interest in law and the experiences which you have gain through your readings/ experiences in your personal statement will be good. :smile:

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by gregregregreg

Thanks!

Hi @gregregregreg!

One of the key things to do in a personal statement is get across your passion for the subject and demonstrate a real interest in the field. By speaking about specifics or more general ideas, as you have suggested, will definitely do this so you are certainly on the right track! In some ways, I would stop thinking about what you think they want to hear from you (in terms of specifics) and instead concentrate on what you want to get across. At the end of the day, it is a personal statement so if you have a real interest in a niche article you have read that probably won't come up in the course then don't be stopped from putting it in! It will show you have really read into the subject and, perhaps, in a way that separates you from your peers. :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending