The Student Room Group

Histogram question AS

Can somebody please explain how I would find the frequency densities for the 2 missing classes below?
I've tried lots of things but can't get there.
The working that I left below was an attempt to find the scale for the frequency density if that's even helpful and/or right.
Thank you
AADE54C4-1543-445F-A40C-103AB02A2419.png
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Without doing it, you have two unknowns for the two bars and one piece of info relating them (four times as many ...).
You also know they corrspond to 40 swimmers.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Without doing it, you have two unknowns for the two bars and one piece of info relating them (four times as many ...).
You also know they corrspond to 40 swimmers.

Oh so if I let x = height for 30 to 25 And y = height 40 to 45,
Then
5(5x)=5y
So y=4x
And 10(x+y)=40
Solving both gives x=4/5 and y=16/5 ?
If this is the case, how do I then find the heights of the others for the final calculation?
Reply 3
In terms of numbers, the two histograms must be 8 and 32 as they sum to 40 and one is 4 times the other. You got the scaling factor for the other bars, so you can convert them to numbers. So whats the problem with finishing?
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
In terms of numbers, the two histograms must be 8 and 32 as they sum to 40 and one is 4 times the other. You got the scaling factor for the other bars, so you can convert them to numbers. So whats the problem with finishing?

Oh so the working I showed earlier was correct for the SF?
Edit:
If so I've done this...
Im not sure how to get to 72 though
FF026E0F-692D-4438-9314-18E2E64DE52A.png
Plus the 17... i think would be required height, but multiplying by 43-25 gives over 300 which isn't right :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
I don't think your numbers are exactly right for hte scale factor as you have 0.2 for the first bar, but its hard to read on the images. Can you check carefully.

At the risk of stating the obvious, each bar must have a whole number of swimmers in.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest