The Student Room Group

What to do about low predicted grade in music?

My daughter took A level music and despite getting 73% in her AS she got a C. 58/60 performance, 44/62 written paper and 29/54 composition. They are still predicting her a C at A Level but she needs a B to do a degree in music. Last year they had no help with the composition, but this year they have had professional help and it is really good. I dont understand why they keep predicting her a C. What do you advise?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Shauney123
My daughter took A level music and despite getting 73% in her AS she got a C. 58/60 performance, 44/62 written paper and 29/54 composition. They are still predicting her a C at A Level but she needs a B to do a degree in music. Last year they had no help with the composition, but this year they have had professional help and it is really good. I dont understand why they keep predicting her a C. What do you advise?

If she is in Y13 and this is the prediction that will go on her UCAS form, you should speak to the school. If they know she needs a B they might agree to up her prediction. Is she studying AQA or Pearson?

Those three components are not equally weighted. With Pearson and AQA, the written examination component is worth 40% of the qualification, of the A level marks, but the other two components vary from one to the other.

She could still apply at universities who require higher grades and she could still received an offer with a requirement for a B in music, even if she’s predicted a C. If that happens you should speak to the school again at that point.
Reply 2
Original post by Ekaterini
If she is in Y13 and this is the prediction that will go on her UCAS form, you should speak to the school. If they know she needs a B they might agree to up her prediction. Is she studying AQA or Pearson?

Those three components are not equally weighted. With Pearson and AQA, the written examination component is worth 40% of the qualification, of the A level marks, but the other two components vary from one to the other.

She could still apply at universities who require higher grades and she could still received an offer with a requirement for a B in music, even if she’s predicted a C. If that happens you should speak to the school again at that point.

The exam board is WJEC. The biggest problem was that she moved to a new school to do A LEvels as her school didnt have a 6th form. She was then in lockdown and didnt get to do a lot of the course. She had an A* at GCSE. She just doesnt understand what she is doing wrong.
The exam board is WJEC. The biggest problem was that she moved to a new school to do A LEvels as her school didnt have a 6th form. She was then in lockdown and didnt get to do a lot of the course. She had an A* at GCSE. She just doesnt understand what she is doing wrong.

I can see on the WJEC board's specifications that the uniform mark scale (UMS) used to report the results of each unit are not the same as those you mentioned. Check with the school again what was the maximum mark for each paper and what the grade boundaries were. It seems the total marks were 200 but yours add to 176. If she got 131 marks out of 200 max UMS, that's showing as a grade C in the 2019 boundaries. The percentage is irrelevant, it depends what grade boundaries were used on the year of the qualification. You really need to speak to the school to give you more explanation regarding her AS grade, and to tell you what else she needs to do to achieve a higher grade for A levels. They might give her the opportunity to take another written examination or to improve her composition.
Let her take her A levels, get the best grade she can, and apply with achieved grades.
No predictions needed, no guesswork about where to apply.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
Let her take her A levels, get the best grade she can, and apply with achieved grades.
No predictions needed, no guesswork about where to apply.

I really like the idea but the only problem with that is she is High Performance Sport and wants to go to where she can train. At present we have a 2 hour drive to get anywhere.
Reply 6
I can see on the WJEC board's specifications that the uniform mark scale (UMS) used to report the results of each unit are not the same as those you mentioned. Check with the school again what was the maximum mark for each paper and what the grade boundaries were. It seems the total marks were 200 but yours add to 176. If she got 131 marks out of 200 max UMS, that's showing as a grade C in the 2019 boundaries. The percentage is irrelevant, it depends what grade boundaries were used on the year of the qualification. You really need to speak to the school to give you more explanation regarding her AS grade, and to tell you what else she needs to do to achieve a higher grade for A levels. They might give her the opportunity to take another written examination or to improve her composition.

The AS grades werent supposed to count at all last year, but they will count if that is what they are predicting. I couldnt get my head around the marking system. She got 131 out of 176, because they didnt cover every part they should have. I would say they did it out of 200 even though the marks only made 176. On the WJEC site, if it is out of 180, it is clearly a B. Will have to see what the school says.
The AS grades werent supposed to count at all last year, but they will count if that is what they are predicting. I couldnt get my head around the marking system. She got 131 out of 176, because they didnt cover every part they should have. I would say they did it out of 200 even though the marks only made 176. On the WJEC site, if it is out of 180, it is clearly a B. Will have to see what the school says.

they don't 'count'
like someone else has said it is probably best if she just waits
Hi

I'm not sure if this is any help to you, but UCAS do have a system in place called "adjustment" for applicants who outperform their predicted grades. Worst case scenario, you can't get the school to change the grades, you could apply for some easier to get into courses, and then once you have sat your A-levels and achieved a higher grade, apply for a better course through adjustment.

There's a link about what it is here: https://www.whatuni.com/advice/clearing/what-is-adjustment/26035/#:~:text=What's%20UCAS%20Adjustment%3F,without%20losing%20your%20firm%20offer.

Hope that helps!
Her AS grade has nothing to do with her A levels anyway. She should ask the school what else she needs to do to improve her predicted A level grade, she may be given a chance to provide more ‘evidence’. It will be a shame not to have a go applying this year! If she’s not happy with the outcome she can apply the next but I can’t see why should wouldn’t have a go.
Reply 10
I can see on the WJEC board's specifications that the uniform mark scale (UMS) used to report the results of each unit are not the same as those you mentioned. Check with the school again what was the maximum mark for each paper and what the grade boundaries were. It seems the total marks were 200 but yours add to 176. If she got 131 marks out of 200 max UMS, that's showing as a grade C in the 2019 boundaries.

You seem not to understand UMS (not surprising as it isn't used any more in England). Exams are marked in raw marks and then converted using the agreed grade boundaries for that exam season to UMS marks which always have the same grade boundaries. There is no reason why the max raw marks in a paper are the same as the max UMS, in fact they rarely are. .

Tbh, they should not be having professonal help with composition ... unless the centre plan to declare that?

https://www.wjec.co.uk/media/fsybcs5b/wjec-gce-music-spec-from-2016-e.pdf
https://www.wjec.co.uk/media/bs2mjbb0/wjec-gce-music-examiners-report-summer-2019.pdf
Original post by EOData
You seem not to understand UMS (not surprising as it isn't used any more in England). Exams are marked in raw marks and then converted using the agreed grade boundaries for that exam season to UMS marks which always have the same grade boundaries. There is no reason why the max raw marks in a paper are the same as the max UMS, in fact they rarely are. .

You are right, I don’t understand how it works, that’s why I keep saying it’s best they ask the school. Not that her AS has anything to do with her A level prediction.
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
Tbh, they should not be having professonal help with composition ... unless the centre plan to declare that?

https://www.wjec.co.uk/media/fsybcs5b/wjec-gce-music-spec-from-2016-e.pdf
https://www.wjec.co.uk/media/bs2mjbb0/wjec-gce-music-examiners-report-summer-2019.pdf

I think it was just a past pupil doing work experience. he wasnt doing it for them just being a sounding board really and that was what she needed.
Reply 14
You are right, I don’t understand how it works, that’s why I keep saying it’s best they ask the school. Not that her AS has anything to do with her A level prediction.

In Wales it does, as the AS results contribute 40% of the final A level grade - a poor AS result has a significant impact on the likely final A level grade..
Original post by EOData
In Wales it does, as the AS results contribute 40% of the final A level grade - a poor AS result has a significant impact on the likely final A level grade..

If she lives in Wales then it matters, and it’s probably a good policy, as like a degree you get credit over the course not all at the end.
Reply 16
Original post by Googley_eyes
If she lives in Wales then it matters, and it’s probably a good policy, as like a degree you get credit over the course not all at the end.

Last year they said it wouldnt count toward the actual A Level, but they were still given the grades so not too sure. It is supposed to count in a normal year. I dont know how they will do it this year, as A2 is only 60% in a normal year.

Quick Reply

Latest