The Student Room Group

Law Ranking

Posting for the child.

My child has an offer from Exeter which we chose as it was ranked higher in university ranking per Times UK and aligned with low predicted grades (AAB). I am revisiting this decision as there are other dimensions that we are considering.

a. One dimension is employment by city firms. We live in London Suburbs and so prefer a job in city firms. As per this, Exeter does not have good pay compared to some other universities such as SOAS. I would think, this is because SOAS is London University.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/universities-and-graduate-earnings

What do forum members think about it. We understand money is not the most important, but right now, that is an important consideration to decide on the course.

b. Music: My child would like to explore Singing as career, which she has neglected past 2 years. London and Manchester are famous for Music, so wonder which university can be good place for both Law and Music ? she will not study it as subject, but if a Uni. has good facility for Music production, I would think, it will help. With London, of course, she can explore it outside of university too.

c. She is predicted an AAB, but realistically we think she will score A*AA based on her current performance.

I am researching for realistic eventuality, where she scores A*AA to AAB or even say, something goes wrong and she ends up with ABB.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Exeter is better than SOAS. What are her other options?

I don’t really understand the music point tbh. Realistically she isn’t going to pursue a career in music so I wouldn’t place much emphasis on that as a decision factor. Exeter will be a lot deader socially than other cities though if she’s bothered by that.
Reply 2
Original post by LawStudent456
Exeter is better than SOAS. What are her other options?

I don’t really understand the music point tbh. Realistically she isn’t going to pursue a career in music so I wouldn’t place much emphasis on that as a decision factor. Exeter will be a lot deader socially than other cities though if she’s bothered by that.

I am confused by some posts that seem to suggest that graduates from London universities get better pay, unfortunately there is no way to verify.

Realistically, she might pursue a career in Singing, we do not know that as yet since for past 3 years, she could not do much due to situation at home and we did not take risk of not focussing on studies ( first priority is to be financially secure). It maybe that as parent I am biased, or it maybe that she has the potential to succeed - with practice. Right now, that is not tested adequately.

I am also wondering if I should post a link and seek feedback from forum members. (privacy concern)
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Sgcheam
Posting for the child.

My child has an offer from Exeter which we chose as it was ranked higher in university ranking per Times UK and aligned with low predicted grades (AAB). I am revisiting this decision as there are other dimensions that we are considering.

a. One dimension is employment by city firms. We live in London Suburbs and so prefer a job in city firms. As per this, Exeter does not have good pay compared to some other universities such as SOAS. I would think, this is because SOAS is London University.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/universities-and-graduate-earnings

What do forum members think about it. We understand money is not the most important, but right now, that is an important consideration to decide on the course.

b. Music: My child would like to explore Singing as career, which she has neglected past 2 years. London and Manchester are famous for Music, so wonder which university can be good place for both Law and Music ? she will not study it as subject, but if a Uni. has good facility for Music production, I would think, it will help. With London, of course, she can explore it outside of university too.

c. She is predicted an AAB, but realistically we think she will score A*AA based on her current performance.

I am researching for realistic eventuality, where she scores A*AA to AAB or even say, something goes wrong and she ends up with ABB.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Exeter is a strong university, particularly for law. If ranking and reputation is your concern, rest assured that few employers will frown upon seeing that university listed on her C.V.

You mention Manchester, does she have an offer there?
Reply 4
Original post by cephalothin
Exeter is a strong university, particularly for law. If ranking and reputation is your concern, rest assured that few employers will frown upon seeing that university listed on her C.V.

You mention Manchester, does she have an offer there?

She did not apply to Manchester, but it is likely to be in clearing.
Original post by Sgcheam
I am confused by some posts that seem to suggest that graduates from London universities get better pay, unfortunately there is no way to verify.

Realistically, she might pursue a career in Singing, we do not know that as yet since for past 3 years, she could not do much due to situation at home and we did not take risk of not focussing on studies ( first priority is to be financially secure). It maybe that as parent I am biased, or it maybe that she has the potential to succeed - with practice. Right now, that is not tested adequately.

I am also wondering if I should post a link and seek feedback from forum members. (privacy concern)

There is no benefit of attending a university just because it is based in London. London unis often have higher graduate salaries because London wages are higher (because cost of living if higher in London).

I am unsure what you mean by the last bit. What link? What privacy concerns?

Exeter is a top uni anyway that is all that matters.

Manchester will not likely be in clearing for law. Where else has your daughter got offers from?
Original post by Sgcheam
She did not apply to Manchester, but it is likely to be in clearing.

It's unlikely Manchester will be in clearing for law. And, as mentioned, London salaries are often grossly higher because the cost of living in grossly high. Exeter is a top law school, so I wouldn't stress about career or graduate prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending