The Student Room Group

gcse maths- 4 to a 7+

heyy during secondary i had a lot of mental health problems which made me lose all motivation. my attendance was bad, didnt try in lessons, never revised so i got a 4 in gcse maths.

im just wondering if it would be realistic for me to go from a 4 to a 7 by may 2022? if yes then does anyone have any advice
(edited 2 years ago)
Use the exam board specification! Use CGP.
Exam practice under timed conditions is important. Lots and lots of exam practice. Review your answers regularly. Make note of similar questions that keep popping up and the answers to them. Make note of questions and topics that you get questions wrong in. Use the mark scheme (after attempting the question yourself first otherwise you won't learn) to note down the main marking point and the specific terminology that is needed ( the specification should also help with this). Utilise teachers and friends and senior students. You can do revision sessions with your friends! Ask teachers to do extra sessions, give advice and mark essays or past papers or just random questions you're struggling to get the hang of. Use YouTube videos! There's so many revision and summary videos out there! Quizlet is really useful as well.

Find ways to keep yourself motivated as well!!! Treat every single exam and lesson as a learning curve. You are not a failure! Believe in yourself and that you can do this! Keep learning from your experiences.

Fun fact teaching someone something you're learning helps you learn it better. I don't think I worded that well lol. Basically if you put things into your own words to explain to someone else, it's more likely to stick in your head and it increases your understanding of it.
I managed to go up by 1 grade in Maths GCSE in that same time frame, with the help of a tutor. It is realistic to improve by 2 grades but my then Maths teacher told us that 3+ grades improvement is unrealistic.
Um it might not work for everyone but I did move from a 4/5 to 8/9 in two subjects. I never thought I could get higher in them two subjects but then I got my head down, tried so many different techniques and I was crying so bad on results day when I saw I did so well on them. Believe that you can do this. Work hard for it. Review yourself as you go. Utilise everything at your disposal to reach your goals.
Reply 4
Original post by KA_P
Use the exam board specification! Use CGP.
Exam practice under timed conditions is important. Lots and lots of exam practice. Review your answers regularly. Make note of similar questions that keep popping up and the answers to them. Make note of questions and topics that you get questions wrong in. Use the mark scheme (after attempting the question yourself first otherwise you won't learn) to note down the main marking point and the specific terminology that is needed ( the specification should also help with this). Utilise teachers and friends and senior students. You can do revision sessions with your friends! Ask teachers to do extra sessions, give advice and mark essays or past papers or just random questions you're struggling to get the hang of. Use YouTube videos! There's so many revision and summary videos out there! Quizlet is really useful as well.

Find ways to keep yourself motivated as well!!! Treat every single exam and lesson as a learning curve. You are not a failure! Believe in yourself and that you can do this! Keep learning from your experiences.

Fun fact teaching someone something you're learning helps you learn it better. I don't think I worded that well lol. Basically if you put things into your own words to explain to someone else, it's more likely to stick in your head and it increases your understanding of it.

aww i haven’t even read your comment yet but i just wanted to say thank you sooooo much for sitting here and typing all of that out i appreciate it so much 💕 bless u

okay thank you soooo much and u worded it perfectly dw, im screenshotting this and im gonna tryyyy to stay dedicated to it. ive already made a realistic revision timetable so hopefully i will stick to it. and im gonna go print the specification out rn aswell thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so helpful xx
Reply 5
Original post by rosy_posy
I managed to go up by 1 grade in Maths GCSE in that same time frame, with the help of a tutor. It is realistic to improve by 2 grades but my then Maths teacher told us that 3+ grades improvement is unrealistic.

oh ok thank you but also note that maths would be the only gcse im focusing on so its not like ill have 10 other subjects to revise u know what i mean? and i have a friend that went from 4-6 with only a month or two of revision so hopefully i can do it its worth a try xx ur teacher knows more than me but always try to aim for higher never limit urself
Reply 6
Original post by KA_P
Um it might not work for everyone but I did move from a 4/5 to 8/9 in two subjects. I never thought I could get higher in them two subjects but then I got my head down, tried so many different techniques and I was crying so bad on results day when I saw I did so well on them. Believe that you can do this. Work hard for it. Review yourself as you go. Utilise everything at your disposal to reach your goals.

awwww im so happy for you!!!!! thank you sooo much this is so motivating thank you thank you thank you xxx
Original post by estella135
oh ok thank you but also note that maths would be the only gcse im focusing on so its not like ill have 10 other subjects to revise u know what i mean? and i have a friend that went from 4-6 with only a month or two of revision so hopefully i can do it its worth a try xx ur teacher knows more than me but always try to aim for higher never limit urself

Well spoken!! :smile:
awwww im so happy for you!!!!! thank you sooo much this is so motivating thank you thank you thank you xxx

Hehehe you're gonna make me cry - I'm already smiling like an idiot 😭❤️
definitely do loads and loads of practice questions because for maths i think that's the only thing u can do that'll be of any use for u. revising notes n all that is pretty useless lol so just do loads of practice papers and questions that u can find, and make sure ur getting them right and if not see where ur going wrong
Original post by eternaldevotiion
definitely do loads and loads of practice questions because for maths i think that's the only thing u can do that'll be of any use for u. revising notes n all that is pretty useless lol so just do loads of practice papers and questions that u can find, and make sure ur getting them right and if not see where ur going wrong

kk thank you sooo much <3 (-:
THANK U XX im using mathsgenie aswell and im ordering a cgp textbook tomorrow
I was in the same boat as you, January i was on a 3, then something just clicked with me and though i would revise, i abused maths genie website, i was covering topics, firstly by watching the videos and then moved onto the workbook for the topics i just watched, then i just did many past papers and then i got a 7, as i didn’t actually sit the exam, they had to use my predicted, i believe i would have gotten an 8, nevertheless i am still happy with the progress i made,MAKE SURE TO DO A PAST PAPER TO SEE WHICH TOPICS YOU NEED HELP ON
Original post by Haychhh10
I was in the same boat as you, January i was on a 3, then something just clicked with me and though i would revise, i abused maths genie website, i was covering topics, firstly by watching the videos and then moved onto the workbook for the topics i just watched, then i just did many past papers and then i got a 7, as i didn’t actually sit the exam, they had to use my predicted, i believe i would have gotten an 8, nevertheless i am still happy with the progress i made,MAKE SURE TO DO A PAST PAPER TO SEE WHICH TOPICS YOU NEED HELP ON

im so proud of you thats so good wth.. thank you sooo much i started using mathsgenie im up to grade 2 rn im gonna try go through all of it by january and then im gonna write the topics i struggled with and the topics i completely didnt understand then im gonna revise them, once i get a better understanding im gonna do past papers and keep doing them until i can get close to full marks tysssssm xxx im ordering a cgp textbook tomorrow too thank u thank u thank u

Is it the only one you're focusing on bc it's a retake?
I was told I could get a 6 "on a good day" but then I never did :frown: good that your friend figured it out though :smile:
I've finished my GCSEs and am at sixth form now. No point retaking my maths - I struggle with it sm it's just not worth it but thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest