The Student Room Group

URGENT should i take politics a level

im doing maths econ geog (politics)
i wanna pick politics for my 4th subject, which I am most likely to drop one ( but in all fairness I don't really know much about politics, I'm picking it for a safety option just in case I wanna drop econ as I never studied it in gcses b4)
- I don't really follow the news previously but starting from this week I had restarted to follow the news)
- I dont really know much about politics, but I can try to catch up
- I dont wanna just pick 3 subjects as I dont wanna be stuck with those if I dont wanna do them - more wiggle room
- according to my friends the people that are doing politics in my school are the sweaty set 1 english - and another said u don't actually learn much so it is a waste of time -
- however, if I do success in politics I can go on to the PPE in uni- a well regarded subject
- I didn't do gcse history - would that be disadvantageous?

what should I do? oh btw I wanna take urban planning in uni and for my career so I thought politics might aid me
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bryantw17
i wanna pick politics for my 4th subject, which I am most likely to drop one ( but in all fairness I don't really know much about politics, I'm picking it for a safety option just in case I wanna drop econ as I never studied it in gcses b4)
- I don't really follow the news previously but starting from this week I had restarted to follow the news)
- I dont wanna just pick 3 subjects as I dont wanna be stuck with those if I dont wanna do them - more wiggle room
- according to my friends the people that are doing politics in my school are the sweaty set 1 english - and another said u don't actually learn much so it is a waste of time -
- however, if I do success in politics I can go on to the PPE in uni- a well regarded subject

what should I do? oh btw I wanna take urban planning in uni and for my career so I thought politics might aid

A lot of people who take Economics and politics at A levels and got excellent grades at exams didn’t do the subjects for GCSE so you won’t be the first. Having said that it does require you to study hard and learn concepts fast. I suggest you have discussions with the department in your proposed sixth form to see the level of support available and the amount of work required. You can do it, if you put your mind to it and don’t listen to naysayers.
Politics is a solid essay subject and relates well to Econ and Geog.
Its not all about 'the news' but it will help you understand how/why things happen.
Reply 3
Original post by bryantw17

what should I do? oh btw I wanna take urban planning in uni and for my career so I thought politics might aid me

Im currently taking maths, economics and politics. I barely watched the news and didn’t have much previous knowledge on politics beforehand but i now enjoy learning about politics. I also didn’t do gcse history and it won’t disadvantage you. As long as you work hard and can handle 4 a-levels, you should be fine.
Original post by McGinger
Politics is a solid essay subject and relates well to Econ and Geog.
Its not all about 'the news' but it will help you understand how/why things happen.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest