The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
I think you need to a) calm down and b) research a bit more about the various roles in IB and settle on one you want to aim for.

Your A-levels are just a means of getting past auto-filters, they mean very little after that point. Most IBs have UCAS point requirements of 300-320 - which you meet.

You're at a target, your choice of degree is negligible. Most banks are looking for a diverse group of graduates so, in some instances, it might set you apart!

Just to reiterate: look into the various functions, read up a bit more about markets (for S&T and research) or deals (for IB) and just apply, you never know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the ucas points grades break down again? I.e how many points for each letter grade A*-U inclusive
Original post by monies
Thanks for the advice! From my research I have found that M&A in particular interests me, would that be a possible career path at a good firm with a History and Italian degree from Warwick and a B in A level Maths

Simply put, yes!

Try to get involved in the Warwick Econ Soc (or any other societies that may interest you), volunteering or anything that might set you apart.

The maths you do in M&A is pretty basic stuff: ratios, percentages etc. A-Level maths might even be overkill!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rkai01
What is the ucas points grades break down again? I.e how many points for each letter grade A*-U inclusive

Here you go:

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables/946

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Cass Business School offer Banking & International Finance. I'm sure there are others.

I need A at GCSE maths which I got a B in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by realcloud
I need A at GCSE maths which I got a B in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Retake.
Cambridge mathematics or LSE Mathematics with Economics.

1.Whats better for Investment banking?
2. Whats better for specifically becoming a quant - in investment banking but more likely hedge fund
Original post by newblood
Cambridge mathematics or LSE Mathematics with Economics.

1.Whats better for Investment banking?
2. Whats better for specifically becoming a quant - in investment banking but more likely hedge fund

Dude, it doesn't matter at that level.

I'd argue though that Cambs has better Maths content. Any hard mathematical science (e.g. Computer Science, Maths, Physics Engineering) should be good prep for a quant role. Although, you do tend to find more quants have PhDs than just bachelor's/master's degrees.

Honestly, you'll get interviews at both. Choose the one you like better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Banking and Finance or any other finance/ economics degree from warwick or cass?

Also my education system is somewhat misinterpret in the uk, I have a fair chance of getting into escp, essec, sccience po ( pretty much almost every grand ecoles). However I would really love to study in the London, but because of the weird way how the uk translates my grades, my chances for getting into oxbridge/lse/imperial are almost 0. Are there any good universities which offer a safe place, after taking the assessment course?

My A-levells would be either ABB/BBB, do I have a real chance for getting into a good university?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by monkey0110
Banking and Finance or any other finance/ economics degree from warwick or cass?

Also my education system is somewhat misinterpret in the uk, I have a fair chance of getting into escp, essec, sccience po ( pretty much almost every grand ecoles). However I would really love to study in the London, but because of the weird way how the uk translates my grades, my chances for getting into oxbridge/lse/imperial are almost 0. Are there any good universities which offer a safe place, after taking the assessment course?

My A-levells would be either ABB/BBB, do I have a real chance for getting into a good university?

The Grand Écoles are a better option, you'd be hard pressed to find top schools with BBB requirements. Essec and ESCP place fairly well into banking from what I've heard.

Maybe apply to some ABB ones and see how it goes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by monkey0110

Warwick not in London bro.
Would I be at a major disadvantage towards economics/math-based students when trying to get into IB with an MSci in Biological Sciences from UCL? I'm on track to get an A* in A level maths but I know that they don't tend to look much at A levels apart from the min. requirement of AAB so I'm not sure how much that would help me
Original post by luna.lovegood
Would I be at a major disadvantage towards economics/math-based students when trying to get into IB with an MSci in Biological Sciences from UCL? I'm on track to get an A* in A level maths but I know that they don't tend to look much at A levels apart from the min. requirement of AAB so I'm not sure how much that would help me

In terms of technical knowledge when interviewing, yes.

In terms of potential, no. Join some finance societies, read around the industry, apply to Spring Weeks/Summer Internships.
Hi , I am relatively new to this forum and have some questions on investment banking in the UK. I have recently applied through ucas to UK and I am an international student from Sri Lanka. Currently I am looking to go firm on the offer I have received to the university of Nottingham on the degree "economics and econometrics". Since there is not much scope in my country for jobs in the IB sector , what are my chances of landing a job in the UK ? Thanks in advance
Geography with Economics - LSE
Geography and Economics - UCL
Geography and Economics - Durham
Geography - Cambridge
Land Economy - Cambridge

Would any of these degrees help when looking in these divisions at BB IB or Asset Management (I know some don't relate to asset management):
-IBD
-Wealth/Asset Management
-Private Banking
-Equity Research
-M&A
-Securities
-Commodity Trading/Broking (or any kind of trading to be honest)
Original post by FTSE420
Geography - Cambridge
Land Economy - Cambridge

Would any of these degrees help when looking in these divisions at BB IB or Asset Management (I know some don't relate to asset management):
-IBD
-Wealth/Asset Management
-Private Banking
-Equity Research
-M&A
-Securities

Yes, all will give you the potential.

Oxbridge > LSE > UCL >>> Durham
Yes, all will give you the potential.

Oxbridge > LSE > UCL >>> Durham

Surely Geography and/with Economics at LSE and UCL will be much more relevant? Or does it not matter when you go to a target? Is geography sufficient for trading?
Original post by FTSE420
Geography - Cambridge
Land Economy - Cambridge

-IBD
-Wealth/Asset Management
-Private Banking
-Equity Research
-M&A
-Securities

Cambridge would be the best shout in terms of overall rep, but honestly choose whichever course you most prefer. None of those places will hinder your chances..

It's quite annoying how some people think their chances will be drastically different when choosing between top schools - they are all top and therefore targeted! The onus is on you as an applicant after that initial sift.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Cambridge would be the best shout in terms of overall rep, but honestly choose whichever course you most prefer. None of those places will hinder your chances..

It's quite annoying how some people think their chances will be drastically different when choosing between top schools - they are all top and therefore targeted! The onus is on you as an applicant after that initial sift.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know they are all good unis although I am wondering whether they are quantitative enough for trading for example.
Original post by FTSE420
Surely Geography and/with Economics at LSE and UCL will be much more relevant? Or does it not matter when you go to a target? Is geography sufficient for trading?

Dude, what do you want to study? By the looks of it you want to study Geography as oppose to Economics. Go do that, get a SW and some summer internships in trading (easier said than done), read around finance, join some socs and enjoy life bro. People are traders who did music at cambridge.

If you want to study it with Econ then go LSE, enjoy uni bro.
Dude, what do you want to study? By the looks of it you want to study Geography as oppose to Economics. Go do that, get a SW and some summer internships in trading (easier said than done), read around finance, join some socs and enjoy life bro. There are traders who did music at cambridge.

If you want to study it with Econ then go LSE, enjoy uni bro.

Haha thanks, I am not at the going to uni stage yet, I am choosing A-Levels and was wondering whether the A-Levels I have decided to choose would open doors in finance if I go onto do a degree at one of the unis that accepts students with my chosen A-Levels.

Latest

Trending

Trending