The Student Room Group

Medicine or not??

Hi there,
This is a bit of a vent so I apologise for the length 😂

I have wanted to do medicine since I was around 12 years old. I am passionate about helping people and I find medicine so interesting, I love learning about different conditions and how/why people are affected by different diseases/conditions. I have chosen my A-levels according to medicine entry requirements - Chemistry, Biology & Politics. I am a member of a medical book club, medical society (run by Medic Mentor) and I am due to begin volunteering at a care home in September.
Background info - I ski regularly out of school and my dad, who lives abroad, is a ski instructor and so I have had lots of exposure to the skiing community and I have always planned on doing a ski season in New Zealand during the summer holidays between year 13 and first year of uni (I am getting my ski instructor qualifications this summer). Recently I have been wavering on whether I want to do more skiing than just 3 months but this would mean putting off medicine for a period of time. I am also aware that many unis do not like you to defer medicine courses and that it is much harder to apply after a gap year.
I also have family members who work in the music festival industry (organising and running festivals) and when I hear them talking about it. I always feel so interested and have a want to do that too. On top of skiing and event planning, I also had a bit of experience in yacht sailing/racing and have had thoughts of doing that as a career. I am in a real dilemma as I could work in skiing, sailing and events together at different points in the year as the seasons handily fit in around each other. However, pursuing this career would obviously mean I wasn't doing medicine.

My main dilemma is should I do medicine if my heart is not 100% in it as I know the commitment, pressure and effort that medicine requires.

I would be really grateful if anyone could share their experiences of deciding to do medicine when they were stuck between two careers.

Thank you in advance,
Anna
Original post by celticgirl94
Hi there,
This is a bit of a vent so I apologise for the length 😂

I have wanted to do medicine since I was around 12 years old. I am passionate about helping people and I find medicine so interesting, I love learning about different conditions and how/why people are affected by different diseases/conditions. I have chosen my A-levels according to medicine entry requirements - Chemistry, Biology & Politics. I am a member of a medical book club, medical society (run by Medic Mentor) and I am due to begin volunteering at a care home in September.
Background info - I ski regularly out of school and my dad, who lives abroad, is a ski instructor and so I have had lots of exposure to the skiing community and I have always planned on doing a ski season in New Zealand during the summer holidays between year 13 and first year of uni (I am getting my ski instructor qualifications this summer). Recently I have been wavering on whether I want to do more skiing than just 3 months but this would mean putting off medicine for a period of time. I am also aware that many unis do not like you to defer medicine courses and that it is much harder to apply after a gap year.
I also have family members who work in the music festival industry (organising and running festivals) and when I hear them talking about it. I always feel so interested and have a want to do that too. On top of skiing and event planning, I also had a bit of experience in yacht sailing/racing and have had thoughts of doing that as a career. I am in a real dilemma as I could work in skiing, sailing and events together at different points in the year as the seasons handily fit in around each other. However, pursuing this career would obviously mean I wasn't doing medicine.

My main dilemma is should I do medicine if my heart is not 100% in it as I know the commitment, pressure and effort that medicine requires.

I would be really grateful if anyone could share their experiences of deciding to do medicine when they were stuck between two careers.

Thank you in advance,
Anna

Have a look at this thread for 2 online work experience courses which can give you more insight on what medicine is like. It would also be a good idea to contact GP/hospitals for work experience in person.
I mean if u do medicine as a career ur work hours will be crazy and it’ll take up a **** ton of ur time. Some of my friends doing medicine cant even find time to sleep properly and theyre in their 2nd year yet. I would say if ur willing to put in all that work and more after starting to work do it. But if u do u wont really have time for much else as doctors lives are mostly their job. Thats what acc made me decide I didnt wanna do it because I wanted to be able to travel and see the world while working I didnt wanna be at the same place all the time doing similar things even tho I loved being in the hospital and was really interested in the course itself as well. And even tho I do have this lingering feeling of how my life would be if I chose medicine I dont think I have that kind of commitment. I ended up applying for comp sci btw cuz there r opportunities to travel abroad and work from home and I start uni this year so I obv dont know if that was the right choice but we’ll see ig lol.
I am a 4th year medical student and I can tell you that there is time to keep up with your passions. I regularly ski and travel, its totally doable if you try hard enough. You also have the option to do expedition medicine, so you can become a doctor for long expeditions whether at sea or in the mountains! that way you can join two passions
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending