The Student Room Group

Error bars

Hi quick question

Say im plotting points on a graph and those points are the mean of some results at particular temperatures for example, but the mean doesn't include anomalies

When drawing your error bars, do you include the anomalies? Eg if the highest number for that temperature was an anomaly, do you use that in your error bars or do you use the the highest number from the ones you actually used in the mean?

Please reply asap aha tysm :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
`

Original post by Donnialy
Hi quick question

Say im plotting points on a graph and those points are the mean of some results at particular temperatures for example, but the mean doesn't include anomalies

When drawing your error bars, do you include the anomalies? Eg if the highest number for that temperature was an anomaly, do you use that in your error bars or do you use the the highest number from the ones you actually used in the mean?

Please reply asap aha tysm :smile:

For a specific mean value, the error bars would represent the uncertainty (standard deviation/95 confidence interval/...) of the data used in calculating that mean value.

If your anomalies are normal experimental variation, then thats what generates the uncertainty and what the error bars represent. If its outliers, then youd reject them from any calculation anyway (mean, standared deviation)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
`

For a specific mean value, the error bars would represent the uncertainty (standard deviation/95 confidence interval/...) of the data used in calculating that mean value.

If your anomalies are normal experimental variation, then thats what generates the uncertainty and what the error bars represent. If its outliers, then youd reject them from any calculation anyway (mean, standared deviation)

ok thank you sm, so if i didnt include it in my mean i dont include it in my error bars?

I dont do a level maths this is for bio so im just trying to grasp the topic aha
Original post by Donnialy
ok thank you sm, so if i didnt include it in my mean i dont include it in my error bars?

I dont do a level maths this is for bio so im just trying to grasp the topic aha

I wouldn't say its conclusive. Depending on the amount of data/its distribution/how you decide its an outlier/..., Id leave any data point decided to be an outlier out of the calculation of the mean & error bar, but plot it on the graph as a specific data point. Whatever you decide to do, make sure its clearly described in the text.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
I wouldn't say its conclusive. Depending on the amount of data/its distribution/how you decide its an outlier/..., Id leave any data point decided to be an outlier out of the calculation of the mean & error bar, but plot it on the graph as a specific data point. Whatever you decide to do, make sure its clearly described in the text.

ok thank you sm :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest