The Student Room Group

Everything happens for a reason - true or false??

This poll is closed

"Everything happens for a reason" - agree or disagree?

Agree55%
Disagree45%
Total votes: 151
Do you think "everything happens for a reason",

or do you think thats a load of rubbish?

I personally dont think it makes sense - if you have suffered a lot and have lots of problems, its hard to see how that could happen for a reason.

Your thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

I personally believe everything happens for a reason. I have come through a lot of crap in life and, yes, it's not fair, but it's made me a stronger person overall and I've met some wonderful people who have helped me through some tough times.
Yes. Whether it is intended or not, there is some sort of explanation for everything.
Reply 3
Determinism>karma.
Reply 4
But what about those that don't get stronger and fail to get through the bad times?

How can that be for a reason? To keep therapists in their jobs??
Reply 5
Liquidus Zeromus
Yes. Whether it is intended or not, there is some sort of explanation for everything.

What is the explanation for this then:

When I was back at school, I got punched in the back of the neck by someone, who quickly ran off so I didn't see who it was.

Since then, my neck has clicked voluntarily and involuntarily. When it clicks involuntarily it really annoys me. I can just be doing a normal task and it clicks - and I keep thinking my life would be different if it didn't click.

This seems silly but think about it - suppose for example I cough and my neck clicks so my neck moves a bit. The cough would be quieter then and so people around me don't comment on how bad my cough is. This leads to us not having a quick chat, which affects everything else in that day.

It is this that is affecting me, not just the neck clicking but the mental effects it is having on me. I keep thinking how different my life would be if I never got punched.
Reply 6
You're talking about your neck clicking? I thought this thread was going to be far deeper than that. My ankle clicks. Deal with that as you will.
Reply 7
i wholeheartedly believe everything happens for a reason.. last year i went through what was the worst time of my life, thus far lol
and at the time i was always wondering WHY? loadsa people always told me all this is happening for a reason etcc.. i did take that on board and all but when you are the one going through all the ****, its hard to be optimistic.. BUT slowly slowly i realised that everything that happened to me actually did benefit me A LOT.. it made me grow as a person, made me appreciate certain things a lot A LOT more and i feel as if i paid my dues at the time and now things are going good for me at the moment.. Thank God
Reply 8
gapyear111
What is the explanation for this then:

When I was back at school, I got punched in the back of the neck by someone, who quickly ran off so I didn't see who it was.

Since then, my neck has clicked voluntarily and involuntarily. When it clicks involuntarily it really annoys me. I can just be doing a normal task and it clicks - and I keep thinking my life would be different if it didn't click.

This seems silly but think about it - suppose for example I cough and my neck clicks so my neck moves a bit. The cough would be quieter then and so people around me don't comment on how bad my cough is. This leads to us not having a quick chat, which affects everything else in that day.

It is this that is affecting me, not just the neck clicking but the mental effects it is having on me. I keep thinking how different my life would be if I never got punched.

you're clicking neck is a conversation piece.. you could be like
'hey, listen to this.. #crack crack#
and you have a conversation going
Reply 9
Yes I believe everything happens for a reason. It's basically the butterfly effect...

Now as to whether bad things happen because of some entity dishing out karma or teaching us something. It's possible (we have no way of knowing) but I don't think it's neccessary for us to concern ourselves with that thought.

Essentially we can always learn from anything, even the most negative things. Failure is when one gives up on life, not when bad things happen.
Reply 10
Peanut42
You're talking about your neck clicking? I thought this thread was going to be far deeper than that. My ankle clicks. Deal with that as you will.

:ditto:

I do believe everything happens for a reason.
Reply 11
What about this then:

If person x bullies person y.
Person y in turn becomes a bully and bullies person z.
How is that fair on person z?
Reply 12
gapyear111
What about this then:

Person A walks to Person B, blows his head off with a sawn-off and takes their wallet.

Life.
Reply 13
gapyear111
What about this then:

the reason person Z is getting picked on is b/c they are a weak target.. thus being bullied, as horrible as it is will make them a stronger person later in life

everyone gets bullied at some point in their life.. whether its at school, college, uni, work etcc

like someone said.. we can only learn from everything that happens to us
Reply 14
sdt
Person A walks to Person B, blows his head off with a sawn-off and takes their wallet.

Life.

*applaudes*
gapyear111

Equality and fairness dont need to come into this.
complete and utter BS. it implies that everything is predetermined so what is the point in anything?! there is no "reason" for things happening they way they do, other than what meaning you assign to it yourself after the event, and what you choose to take from it.
Reply 17
Yusuf.T
the reason person Z is getting picked on is b/c they are a weak target.. thus being bullied, as horrible as it is will make them a stronger person later in life

everyone gets bullied at some point in their life.. whether its at school, college, uni, work etcc

like someone said.. we can only learn from everything that happens to us

not everyone gets punched in the back though..
Reply 18
gapyear111
not everyone gets punched in the back though..

Oh my god. When I was 7 I was in a car crash that flipped over. I have a scar on my finger. My mum has permanent damage to her neck. OMGZ life is so hard.
Definately belive this u just have to wait to see the bigger picture in the long run. Basically u gotta experience the bad times in order to appreciate the good etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending