The Student Room Group

Question for girls

Why do you always reject a guy subtly by saying things like ‘I need space’ or ‘I need to process it’ and ghosting them instead of just saying no?
fear of upsetting the guy, dont know how he's gonna react- may react badly
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
fear of upsetting the guy, dont know how he's gonna react- may react badly

But doesn’t it also create this sense of false hope which can be just as bad?

true, i dont agree with ghosting or giving false hope but i think some girls find the idea of giving false hope easier than flat out saying 'no'
Reply 4
Why do you always reject a guy subtly by saying things like ‘I need space’ or ‘I need to process it’ and ghosting them instead of just saying no?

because we have enough evidence to assume that there is a probability that we could get killed, r-worded or assaulted simply for saying no. duh

I'm a guy... but it's just politer than being blunt. It's like if someone wants something from you, you'd react much better if they asked you nicely with a please etc. than demanding it and threatening you if you didn't comply.

Question for you:- You've already shown that you know that it's a gentle let down, so how is it creating "false- hope?"

It's just a simple way of managing a potentially awkward or volatile situation. It's never nice rejecting someone (unless you blatantly didn't like the person), so it's also easier for them to let someone down gently rather than trampling over their heart / ego. If she's too direct with her rejection, then she's being a "female-dog".

Also, as pointed out by others here, your average man is significantly stronger than your average female (personally, I don't think anything else needs to be said on the matter).
Reply 6
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I'm a guy... but it's just politer than being blunt. It's like if someone wants something from you, you'd react much better if they asked you nicely with a please etc. than demanding it and threatening you if you didn't comply.

Question for you:- You've already shown that you know that it's a gentle let down, so how is it creating "false- hope?"

It's just a simple way of managing a potentially awkward or volatile situation. It's never nice rejecting someone (unless you blatantly didn't like the person), so it's also easier for them to let someone down gently rather than trampling over their heart / ego. If she's too direct with her rejection, then she's being a "female-dog".

Also, as pointed out by others here, your average man is significantly stronger than your average female (personally, I don't think anything else needs to be said on the matter).

Maybe it's just me but I'm not usually someone who reads between the lines well especially when it comes to relationships so for the first few days/weeks I genuinely believed she was just thinking about it. But the weeks turned into months and the waiting just eventually took a toll on me to the point where I kind of 'woke up' and realised that it was a let down.
Maybe it's just me but I'm not usually someone who reads between the lines well especially when it comes to relationships so for the first few days/weeks I genuinely believed she was just thinking about it. But the weeks turned into months and the waiting just eventually took a toll on me to the point where I kind of 'woke up' and realised that it was a let down.

Well you know now.

No point in giving yourself a hard time about it,,, just remember for next time (and don't leave it so long... how many girls have slipped through your fingers, before you "woke up" )

Granted, there are some times when she may be genuinely thinking about it, but she'd get back to you in reasonable time. If you have to chase, and you're ignored, then she's not interested.

Another one for you to bear in mind, is whenever a girl says she's "busy" to an invitation, it's another way of saying she's not interested (even if she says "I'm really really weerleeeyyy sorry,". The ONLY exception is if she's very specific about what she's busy with, and when she expects to be free (e.g. "I've got a major project deadline next Friday, but I should be free by the weekend")
Reply 8
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Well you know now.

No point in giving yourself a hard time about it,,, just remember for next time (and don't leave it so long... how many girls have slipped through your fingers, before you "woke up" )

Granted, there are some times when she may be genuinely thinking about it, but she'd get back to you in reasonable time. If you have to chase, and you're ignored, then she's not interested.

Another one for you to bear in mind, is whenever a girl says she's "busy" to an invitation, it's another way of saying she's not interested (even if she says "I'm really really weerleeeyyy sorry,". The ONLY exception is if she's very specific about what she's busy with, and when she expects to be free (e.g. "I've got a major project deadline next Friday, but I should be free by the weekend")

Alright, thank you
sometimes they say it cuz they r acc thinking ab it?
also on the occasions when they r not sometimes u dont wanna be rude and also u might wanna keep the friendship on good terms so u take the politer and nicer route instead of being blunt which cud lead to awkwardness
Because most women have had the experience of saying no and having someone go full “nice guy” on them.
It applies to both genders: when there is a sense of ambiguity it most likely means a lack of interest, but when girls are ambiguous, they are caring for you enough to not want to hurt your feelings. Also, for girls, letting you down in a gentler way is often a form of self-protection just in case they break a guy's ego and he reacts in a violent manner.

But generally speaking: if a girl likes you she will let you know whether it's verbally or non-verbally. Everything that is not a "yes" or a "sure" or trying to make a way for things to work = no. Same way if a guy likes a girl there will be no confusion about him liking her.

A lot of us girls (not all) basically beyond for guys we like or are attracted to, to try to make things work. So if that isn't the case (e.g. when you pull away) then you can safely assume she doesn't like you back.
I've ghosted before, would never do it again because no body deserves that.

I did it because I simply couldn't bother talking to the person, I didn't care to.

It's hard to know, without being aware of the full circumstances.

Saying she needs space, yes isn't a great sign, but did you follow up?

'I need to process it' - process what? did you do something? this doesn't make a lot of sense?
Reply 14
It's hard to know, without being aware of the full circumstances.

Saying she needs space, yes isn't a great sign, but did you follow up?

'I need to process it' - process what? did you do something? this doesn't make a lot of sense?

So we knew each other for a bit and I basically told her I caught feelings so that was her response.

And no I never followed up.

We get scared and don’t want to upset the guy.
We think that after a while he’ll move on and maybe find someone else who is better for him.
( in my own opinion…)
So we knew each other for a bit and I basically told her I caught feelings so that was her response.

Anything that is not a yes is a no tbh
Reply 17
If I dump someone I try to be honest and explain why. Just so we can stay friends. If being a couple doesn't work it doesn't mean we can't stay friends. I mean we had some sort of connection, otherwise we wouldn't be together in the first place.
Never happened to me to be in a bad relationship, so I have never had to cut things off completely. Although I was cut off completely by my first relationship for no reason (school relationship, I don't even count that a serious one to be honest).

On the other hand, you have a point. When I date a guy, if he is not interested he will say it straight. "Look dear, I see it is not going to work". Girls are more like trying to make an excuse. Sometimes I manage to guess the reason, other times not.

Okay, well in that situation unfortunately I think that’s her kindly letting you down. Really sorry pal. You will find someone who will match that and more one day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending