The Student Room Group

why can't we use gel pens in exams

title.
Gel pens are harder to read through the scanner so regular black pens are highly recommended.
Hope this helps! :smile:
When they refer to gel pens, they generally mean sparkly or glittery ones which are coloured and they won't be picked up by the scanner. However, some gel pens such as muji pens with black ink will be fine as long as they don't smudge (I spoke to my exams officer about this as I write much faster with these pens and they said that it was fine). Either way, if it cannot be picked up by the scanner, they will not just invalidate your paper - the examiner will say that they can't see it and the physical exam paper will be sent to a senior examiner to be marked fully.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
it does, thank you. its just I've been using gel for my first 4 exams up to now, not realising I shouldn't be. This rests my mind as I've been worrying my papers would be upgradable or something. ill certainly be using normal ballpoint from now on!
Original post by CloudyPenguin
Gel pens are harder to read through the scanner so regular black pens are highly recommended.
Reply 4
thank you, I've been stressing but this has calmed me down
Original post by jamesh234
When they refer to gel pens, they generally mean sparkly or glittery ones which are coloured and they won't be picked up by the scanner. However, some gel pens such as muji pens with black ink will be fine as long as they don't smudge (I spoke to my exams officer about this as I write much faster with these pens and they said that it was fine). Either way, if it cannot be picked up by the examiner, they will not just invalidate your paper - the examiner will say that they can't see it and the physical exam paper will be sent to a senior examiner to be marked fully.
I used a black gel pen in all the current gcses will it still count and will it be marked?
Original post by CloudyPenguin
Reply 6
Original post by jamesh234
When they refer to gel pens, they generally mean sparkly or glittery ones which are coloured and they won't be picked up by the scanner. However, some gel pens such as muji pens with black ink will be fine as long as they don't smudge (I spoke to my exams officer about this as I write much faster with these pens and they said that it was fine). Either way, if it cannot be picked up by the scanner, they will not just invalidate your paper - the examiner will say that they can't see it and the physical exam paper will be sent to a senior examiner to be marked fully.

I also prefer gel pens but I switched to ink for exams and I'm pretty sure it's just gel pens in general (even the black ones) which aren't allowed because there's a higher likelihood that they'll smudge Though, that risk is really low and most people can get through all of their exams without any problems using a gel pen.
Gel pens should not be used - get a ballpoint for your exams.

The exam regs specifically say not to use gel pens
Original post by Aidan4
thank you, I've been stressing but this has calmed me down
Original post by ghostczleb
I used a black gel pen in all the current gcses will it still count and will it be marked?

Please get a proper pen for the rest - gel pens are not allowed and I'm surprised you school did not tell you.
Original post by Muttley79
Please get a proper pen for the rest - gel pens are not allowed and I'm surprised you school did not tell you.

what happens now cuz i used them
Original post by ghostczleb
what happens now cuz i used them

They will try to mark them as best they can - get a ballpoint for the rest.

Quick Reply

Latest