The Student Room Group

Using a 'hybrid' gel pen in my GCSE exams

For all 8 of my GCSE exams so far I've used a Uniball Jetstream black pen and thought it would be okay as it says that black ink is allowed on the front of most exams. However, some of my friends are saying that the pen is a gel pen and the scanners will remove the ink. On the official Uniball website, it says that the ink from the pen is 'Fast-drying, non-smudge, water-proof, fade-resistant and tamper-proof' as well as saying that it is a hybrid between a ballpoint and a rollerball, so will this happen? I am really worried.
Reply 1
Some of my classmates used gel or ink pen, and they said using it might affect the clarity of the words when scanned, and best to use ball pen. But some of them also mentioned that It’s okay if your ink didn’t smudge then it should be alright. I hope it helps. :h:
Reply 2
Original post by LegendaryAayush
For all 8 of my GCSE exams so far I've used a Uniball Jetstream black pen and thought it would be okay as it says that black ink is allowed on the front of most exams. However, some of my friends are saying that the pen is a gel pen and the scanners will remove the ink. On the official Uniball website, it says that the ink from the pen is 'Fast-drying, non-smudge, water-proof, fade-resistant and tamper-proof' as well as saying that it is a hybrid between a ballpoint and a rollerball, so will this happen? I am really worried.

You should have been told in your exam instructions/announcements not to use gel pens.
Gel pen ink will scan perfectly well....
IF it hasn't smudged, soaked through the paper, washed away if accidentally exposed to moisture/water, faded in sunlight or heat or rubbed off in transport or in the scanner.
With the quality of gel pens now available, these problems are rare, but they have happened in the past. You should be OK with the pen you have chosen BUT if there is an issue and any part of your paper becomes unreadable you could lose marks.
i did as well - i'm a bit worried. but I did a whole smudge/heat/water test and there wasn't any issues with it. from now i'll just use a regular pen though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest