The Student Room Group

Is it still possible to get an 8 for GCSE maths?

Hi

I am doing OCR higher maths GCSE and aiming for an eight. Or at least I was. Yesterday in my first paper (OCR higher paper 4 calculator) I made a bunch of mistakes. I was tired that day and spent too long on the shorter questions when I should have tackled the larger ones first. I didn't answer the last 2 or 3 pages and lost out on a big chunk of marks, I also said I'd come back to some questions in the paper but forgot to as I ended up using up all of my time. by doing this I'm sure I probably capped my marks at around 70%. Is it still possible for me to get an 8? If so, how well do I have to do on my other 2 papers?

Thanks for reading my question, if you could respond I would greatly appreciate it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TWinters
Hi

I am doing OCR higher maths GCSE and aiming for an eight. Or at least I was. Yesterday in my first paper (OCR higher paper 4 calculator) I made a bunch of mistakes. I was tired that day and spent too long on the shorter questions when I should have tackled the larger ones first. I didn't answer the last 2 or 3 pages and lost out on a big chunk of marks, I also said I'd come back to some questions in the paper but forgot to as I ended up using up all of my time. by doing this I'm sure I probably capped my marks at around 60%. Is it still possible for me to get an 8? If so, how well do I have to do on my other 2 papers?

Thanks for reading my question, if you could respond I would greatly appreciate it.

I may be wrong but, from memory, the last three pages were worth around 15 marks (the algebraic fractions and the set notation). Your success really depends on how well you did on the questions you did do, do you think they were right?

Regardless, if you ace the next ones, you can get an 8, just puts more pressure on you.
Original post by TWinters
Hi

I am doing OCR higher maths GCSE and aiming for an eight. Or at least I was. Yesterday in my first paper (OCR higher paper 4 calculator) I made a bunch of mistakes. I was tired that day and spent too long on the shorter questions when I should have tackled the larger ones first. I didn't answer the last 2 or 3 pages and lost out on a big chunk of marks, I also said I'd come back to some questions in the paper but forgot to as I ended up using up all of my time. by doing this I'm sure I probably capped my marks at around 60%. Is it still possible for me to get an 8? If so, how well do I have to do on my other 2 papers?

you're other 2 papers, you'd have to aim above 75%. But if I remember, the grade boundaries change. It might be lower or it might be higher, no one knows yet

Aim high, and keep aiming high. Don't give up

Quick Reply

Latest