The Student Room Group

Further maths along with maths a-level.

So my current a-level options are comp sci, maths and business. However, i know that FM is quite an important subject for top unis, which is where I want to go.

In my maths mock, I had gotten a 6 (i just didn’t really try for mocks), but quickly after my maths grade quickly pushed up to an 8/9 and i am predicted a grade 8/9 for maths gcse.

Is it worth taking comp sci, maths and FM for a-level? Will the workload be too much?
Reply 1
Currently finishing year 13 here. Started year 12 taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics and FM. I was good at maths at GCSE and got 9s in maths and GCSE further maths but workload at A level is significantly higher and its no longer possible to rely on 'natural ability' unless you're some sort of once-in-a-generation genius. I got very overwhelmed by the workload and when it came to applying to Unis the general consensus was that unless you are looking to study something VERY maths centric e.g. pure maths itself or engineering than it is hardly useful and just blends in with normal maths. You'll find even in those extreme cases it isn't actually 'required'. Dropped it after 8 weeks as well as physics and now doing maths, biology and chemistry and which is much broader while still fit for most academic courses. I would therefore say don't do it, and replace it with a science. Keep as many doors open as possible. I would also advise against business as it has a reputation (not a good one). Economics would make a much better alternative. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest