The Student Room Group

Programming revision help

I am going into 3rd year of computer science in september and from now until then I want to strengthen my coding as I’m quite a weak coder atm. I’m wondering if anyone can recommend any online resources they have used that they found useful for coding revision.
Reply 1
It sounds like you know a programming language already, so to improve your coding the best way is to just practice. I'd recommend starting a big coding project where you set out to make some sort of complicated program and learn what you need as you go along. You can then improve your code over time. I'd recommend learning Git and how to use GitHub as it's a kind of industry standard way of storing programming projects, and if you build up a good portfolio it will help you in the job market as well.

I'd also recommend improving your programming problem solving using Project Euler. It's a series of over 780 mathematical problems which get progressively harder which you use your coding skills to try and solve. They range from basic things like finding primes and Pythagorean triples to very complex problems. If you don't do anything else then I'd at least recommend taking a look at Project Euler just because of the way it develops your algorithmic thinking.

Hope this helps.
Original post by mamj4
It sounds like you know a programming language already, so to improve your coding the best way is to just practice. I'd recommend starting a big coding project where you set out to make some sort of complicated program and learn what you need as you go along. You can then improve your code over time. I'd recommend learning Git and how to use GitHub as it's a kind of industry standard way of storing programming projects, and if you build up a good portfolio it will help you in the job market as well.

I'd also recommend improving your programming problem solving using Project Euler. It's a series of over 780 mathematical problems which get progressively harder which you use your coding skills to try and solve. They range from basic things like finding primes and Pythagorean triples to very complex problems. If you don't do anything else then I'd at least recommend taking a look at Project Euler just because of the way it develops your algorithmic thinking.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely look into
project euler that sounds very interesting and would be good practice. And yeh i’ve learned a quite a bit of programming in my 2 years so far but just feel like ive not grasped it properly yet, i cant code without using google to find all the solutions lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending