The Student Room Group

Getting a first job.

When I left school at 16, the first thing I did was apply for a part-time job at McDonalds. Got an interview, rejected. Asked for feedback, didn't get any, so I started applying elsewhere. In total, I applied for around 90 positions in a year, had several interviews but no offers.

I've done just about everything, from professional CV writing advice, to practice interviews, to volunteering in order to gain experience, locking down my social media presence, but nothing seems to work. Then I got struck down by health issues for 2 years and had to put a pause on job hunting. I honestly never imagined getting a part time job as a 16 year old would be such a major faf, and I seem to be the only one in my group of peers with this problem. It's a major knock to my confidence when someone says "Oh just apply here, they'll hire anyone" and then I get rejected without an interview.

Now, at age 19, I have no actual work experience and I'm really ashamed of it. But the stakes are higher, I've been given the chance to study in Arizona from next year. That's a dream of mine, I've got family out there and it's like a second home to me, and I've always wanted to make it my actual home. So now I desperately need a job in order to save and get over there. I've already sent off three applications, but the problem that I think I have is my CV. With no previous, I'm really struggling to put together something decent.

Does anyone have any general advice for someone in my situation?
Perhaps you could volunteer at a charity shop for a bit. This will give you skills like cash handling, customer service and stock taking which you could add to your CV
It sounds like you've got a good start, but been rather unlucky. If you're being rejected before an interview, it's could be your cv or some other reason like they already have offered it to someone else or are no longer interested in hiring for that job.

My advice from my applications so far is:
- Make sure your CV is specific to each of the jobs your applying for, with relevant info. Use things you did in your volunteering to back up job-specific skills you have for the job you're applying for.
- Apply, apply, apply. 3 applications is a good start, but from what I've heard/seen, sometimes people apply to around 5-10 jobs a day. Not saying you have/need to apply THAT much, but it can help, though 90 a year ain't bad either.
- I'd also make sure the places you're applying to are lower entry-level jobs that don't require previous work experience if possible.
- As you've been doing, politely asking for feedback can help you find areas to improve on from a hiring manager's pov. Whether you'll get a response, who can say. It doesn't hurt to try though. It could also help with networking too.

It is tough, and it can get disheartening, but you've got the knowledge and experience to get a good job. It's only a matter of time and applications. Best of luck with your hunt and I hope you get to Arizona!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending