The Student Room Group

How to get experience in accounting field?

First year in Accounting and finance degree- not on a placement year but might apply for it. But scared as I don't know if I will get any experience or if there will be any help if I get into a programme. The only experience I have is 3+ months in a temporary job and perhaps volunteering from when I was younger but that was quite literally just talking to people.
Which University are you get in Accounting and Finance?
Reply 2
Original post by ChongoPeter
Which University are you get in Accounting and Finance?

Its ranked in the late 60s according to "thecompleteuniversityguide"
Reply 3
What was the temporary job for 3 months? How long ago was it?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
What was the temporary job for 3 months? How long ago was it?
Well I did two temp jobs at Tesco as a dotcom picker one in 2021 one just recently this year for Christmas time
Reply 5
Original post by EstL
Well I did two temp jobs at Tesco as a dotcom picker one in 2021 one just recently this year for Christmas time
Sorry for the very late reply
Reply 6
Original post by EstL
Well - that's pretty good for a first year undergrad!

Things I would do (in no particular order):

make sure you study effectively and get good grades in your first year exams. These grades go on your applications for both year in industry jobs and summer internships after second year so do matter.

Visit your careers centre regularly (say - once a week). They may well have events, company introductions you can join. Quite apart from giving you some insight into careers these are often things you can include on a CV to show some dedication.

Similarly check for events at your university/ course society etc

Work part time and holiday jobs. Jobs in retail and hospitality come across really well on job applications for accountancy positions and so do the responses to questions given by applicants who have worked in these fields.

Be involved with university societies in a meaningful way you can discuss in interviews - positions of responsibility are ideal but certainly not the only way to go.

If you are interested in volunteering or an alternative part time job tutoring is a really good way to develop and demonstrate valuable skills.

Think of this a building a CV rather than just writing one. You are developing your skills in a way that allows you to show someone else that you have been committed to developing skills and lets them see the skills you have developed.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000

make sure you study effectively and get good grades in your first year exams. These grades go on your applications for both year in industry jobs and summer internships after second year so do matter.

Visit your careers centre regularly (say - once a week). They may well have events, company introductions you can join. Quite apart from giving you some insight into careers these are often things you can include on a CV to show some dedication.

Work part time and holiday jobs. Jobs in retail and hospitality come across really well on job applications for accountancy positions and so do the responses to questions given by applicants who have worked in these fields.

Be involved with university societies in a meaningful way you can discuss in interviews - positions of responsibility are ideal but certainly not the only way to go.

If you are interested in volunteering or an alternative part time job tutoring is a really good way to develop and demonstrate valuable skills.

Think of this a building a CV rather than just writing one. You are developing your skills in a way that allows you to show someone else that you have been committed to developing skills and lets them see the skills you have developed.
Okay, thank you for the well presented advice! I haven't joined any societies yet, there aren't any related to accounting or finance. But i think volunteering would be something to consider.
Reply 8
Original post by EstL
Okay, thank you for the well presented advice! I haven't joined any societies yet, there aren't any related to accounting or finance. But i think volunteering would be something to consider.
the societies don't need to be anything related to accounting.
Original post by ajj2000

Thank you very much for the massage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending