The Student Room Group

How do I find a job as a uni student

Hi there,
I am a 1st year student. I’ve been looking for a job for the past few months but I haven’t been successful at it . Usually it’s Monday to Thursday that I’m in uni. But the times of my lectures are uncertain and they they can fall at any times with in these days. A lot of jobs usually want these times. I’ve also looked at online jobs but those are hard to come by too.
If anyone has any advice on jobs I can get???
Original post by Spacemonkey24736
Hi there,
I am a 1st year student. I’ve been looking for a job for the past few months but I haven’t been successful at it . Usually it’s Monday to Thursday that I’m in uni. But the times of my lectures are uncertain and they they can fall at any times with in these days. A lot of jobs usually want these times. I’ve also looked at online jobs but those are hard to come by too.

Hiya!
It’s great to hear that you are looking for a job - I think it is great to get a part time job as a student, gain experience, add more to your CV and earn some money on the side as long as you can also find a job that is accommodating to the student lifestyle i.e. not too many hours and / or late nights. I will be happy to help and advise as I have a few part time jobs.

Firstly, I would recommend getting in contact with your Careers team at the university and looking at the university website for student jobs. By speaking to the Careers team they can inform you on any jobs at the university and possibly help finding one outside of this also. For example, at De Montfort University we have Student Ambassador jobs (this is one of my jobs) these are incredibly flexible jobs meaning they are easy to schedule even if you do have a timetable that changes and also requires no minimum hours to work. I would really recommend enquiring about this potential role as being an ambassador is the best decision I have made whilst being at university and has brought myself many new, exciting opportunities.

As you have said, you have looked online but incase you haven't heard of any of these websites, I would recommend Indeed, Linkedln and Unitemps and hopefully something may appear.

If you have moved to a new city/ town I would suggest walking around with copies of your CV to see if you can leave it anywhere in certain shops / establishments because if there is no part time work currently going, if something appears they at least have your information. This may seem quite intimidating but the worse they can say is no, sorry and I am sure they can relate to a time when they were also looking for work.

From having friends at university there is a mix as what they do currently for work - most of my friends, don't work, some work in retail shops, some work in food establishments and most have jobs for when they come home in the holidays. Have you got any friends at university who have jobs, perhaps ask around and they can see if their work has any new openings.

Please feel free to ask any further questions :smile:

I hope this helps and I am sure something will crop up, keep us posted
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University
Hi there,

Hey @Spacemonkey24736 ,

I would agree with @De Montfort University and recommend contacting the careers team / looking at your university or university student union website to see if there are any jobs they are advertising.

have a look around local cafe / bar / shop windows for advertising.

Word of mouth can be a good way - asking friends/ coursemates if they know of any jobs

agency staff for venues and events and security - often recruit on job sites

I would be mindful of your commitment to uni as although you are in Mon-Thur you will also have pre and post work to complete and also assignemnts/exams that come up. This is why it is very typical for students to work during the summer break.
However, I appreciate that for many students working alongside studying is a must (it is for me) so just make sure you don't overload yourself and make sure uni comes first.
Best wishes for the job search.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi there,

Hi there!

I would definitely recommend getting in touch with the careers team at your university if you have one! They quite often will advertise jobs from businesses that understand what it is like to be a student and can fit around your studies.

It is also worth seeing if your university has any adhoc work available - for example, I work as a Student Ambassador and this allows me to fit work around my studies and I can pick up extra work during the holidays when I have less on!

I hope this helps!
-Rebecca, UCLan
Original post by undefined
Hi there,

Hi,
Does your university have a careers department? It might be worth going to have a chat with them as they may have some information on part time jobs, or ask them to have a look through your CV to make sure its good. Alternatively, maybe look for weekend or evening work in bars ect., student union bars are a good place to start because they understand that students have different working patterns each week so tend to be more flexible. Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi there,

Hi there,

As it has been said, getting in contact with the careers team at your university would be the best place to look first.

Your commitment to university and your studies comes first, and they understand that. Working for the university comes in many shapes and forms - for example as a student ambassador, catering staff, research assistant or domestic assistant. This means that you could have flexible hours, good pay, and work in an understanding and supportive environment, which is also a great way to meet new people!

I'd then recommend looking in your area for job advertisements, asking for applications, and handing out your CV. This can be daunting, but a lot of establishments will appreciate it, and you could even find something fast. The worst they can do is say no, so it is always worth a try. Be honest about your commitments to school, as most places in the local area should be aware that a lot of students would be looking for part-time work and may be understanding of this.

I think it would be a good idea to keep trying to look online, but it may be a good idea to ask around to see where people you know work. Do they know of any openings?

Best of luck and I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Hi there,

Hey @Spacemonkey24736,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time getting a job.

Some recommendations would be:

Get in contact with your careers team - they may be able to help with finding some jobs that would be suitable for you based off skills/previous experience and your availability as well. Maybe also see if they can have a look at your CV as well as they may be able to point out any information that is missing which could be beneficial to getting a specific job.

Have a look at the student jobs that your university provide these are usually a great way of getting a bit of money and also work around your studies as well such as being a student ambassador on open days, giving campus tours or helping out in your department. Usually this only requires you to be free for a couple of weekends a month. Other student jobs include working in your Students Union Bar or if there are any vendors at your university such as a little shop.

Check if there are any advertisements in your department for a research assistant this would be a great way of getting some experience and would be a wonderful thing to add to your CV.

If your wanting a job in the local town/area maybe check if there are any signs around that mention job availabilites, maybe try and follow some of the different bars/pubs or any local businesses in that area on social media as I find that can be a great way of finding out about any new jobs.

Good luck, hopefully some of those tips will help!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Hi there,

Hey!

I totally understand, it's very difficult to find job at the start. I have been there, done that. My first and foremost advise to anyone who asks me this is to become the student ambassador at your university. It's the most flexible and shift-based job, so you only need to commit those hours which you can do according to your timetable and academic workload. Further, if you can download the apps like Stint, Indeed Flex etc. they also provide you shift-based jobs, so no commitments, but you have to check if these work in your city. Lastly, when you are applying for jobs, you can prioritize weekend based jobs, so that they don't interfere with your timetable. As far as I know, most hospitality and restaurant based jobs demand you to be there on weekends majorly. Hope this helps!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Hi there,

Hi there!

I would also suggest to look into if your uni has any job roles going that you can apply for. I am a student ambassador and it is really flexible and you can choose to work when you can so this is good if you have uni on different days. As it is a uni job they want you to put your studies first so it is okay if you can't do a shift every week.

Also just looking around the local area to you, in bars, pubs cafes etc and handing your cv in or asking if they are hiring is always a good idea too. You may be able to get evening work or weekend work in a pub but you don't want to be working too late if you have uni the next day!

As others have said, asking your careers team is also a good idea too as they may be able to help you and point you in the right direction of some work.

I hope this helps!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending