The Student Room Group

Balancing a Job and University

Currently, before my first university term starts, my SFM loan doesn’t exactly cover my rent annually, so my compromise is to get a job during first year. Is it ideal to do so, to balance both University and a job? Or it it too much to handle ?
Original post by Anonymous
Currently, before my first university term starts, my SFM loan doesn’t exactly cover my rent annually, so my compromise is to get a job during first year. Is it ideal to do so, to balance both University and a job? Or it it too much to handle ?

That's pretty much what everyone has to do. You need to decide if you manage a small, year-round job or whether you 'binge-work' over the vacations - usually summer. There are pros and cons with both.

Hi,

Firstly, congratulations for securing your offer to be in university!! Which course will you be studying?

I agree with @threeportdrift, working while studying isn't easy but its common. You may want to figure out which kind of work is better for you. For example, a lot of students get jobs at their universities in cafes/clubs and libraries or as student ambassadors (although these hours aren't set so you might be working different hours each month so if you're looking for extra cash for spending money onto of a job, this would be ideal). Working with the university has its benefits. The university know you are a student so they should ensure you are not overworked and get a fair amount of hours. Some jobs you get with the university can be flexible, it depends on what you get and what agreement you have with the employer.

Make sure to network with staff and students at your university as they might know of jobs for you to apply to. Some jobs I have had are due to word of mouth. Be sure to get in touch with your universities career service as they might be able to help you too.

Finally, whichever you decide to do please make sure to put yourself first. If things become difficult you can reach out to external services or internal services at your university.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
As said, there are often on Campus jobs. (Although often taken by second years on a queue)
Give it some time to bed in at Uni first, so you understand the course and town.

You are normally not recommended to do more than about 20 hours a week (including weekends) during term time. Don’t forget that time in F2F teaching is not the total hours expected on the course.

Hi!
Many people work a part time job alongside their studies and it is definitely possible to find a good balance between the two, especially in first year when the workload is lighter.
Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Hiya,

This is great question and one that I think a lot of people have. I think it’s different for everyone. I had a part time job when I first started uni but due to placement requirements it became a bit much for me to keep up with everything. I did however, join ARU temps and have been working as a student ambassador. I do a lot of online work this way which makes it super flexible. I do know people that have worked throughout their studies, alongside placement and have kids.

It’s all about what you can manage personally. You might have to move around a bit to find what works for you but it is possible.

Look at what your university has to offer. ARU temps is great because, I can apply for any student ambassador work that comes up but external companies also advertise waitressing shifts, along with lots of other jobs. This is always a good option! Having flexibility it key.

Good luck moving forward :smile:

Sophie (ARU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending