The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele University accommodation

Does anyone have any information about Horwood Halls of Residence at Keele university? I'm looking into accommodation but Barnes seems quite expensive so was looking into shared bathroom options at Horwood but just wondered if anyone had experience of living there?
Original post by Calvi24
Does anyone have any information about Horwood Halls of Residence at Keele university? I'm looking into accommodation but Barnes seems quite expensive so was looking into shared bathroom options at Horwood but just wondered if anyone had experience of living there?

Hi @Calvi24,

I'm a commuter student so I've not lived on campus at Keele, however I lived in 'traditional' halls of residence during my undergraduate degree at Aberystwyth.

Some students worry about sharing a kitchen and bathrooms in traditional hall but, personally, I didn't find it to be an issue (and actually found that it encouraged me to get out of my room and make friends!) once some ground rules about cleaning had been established. There's also usually a sink in your bedroom for washing your face, brushing teeth etc. And, as you've mentioned, it is often more cost effective to live in a traditional, non-ensuite halls.

There's lots of information about living in Horwood (including an accommodation tour video) on our website at https://www.keele.ac.uk/accommodation/ouraccommodation/horwood/. It's one of the halls that is relatively close to the central part of campus so it's really conveniently situated. There's also a nice grassed area outside and it's near to the Keele woodland walks too so I always think it's quite nicely located.

I'm also going to tag my colleagues @Keele University and @Keele Students in case they've had any personal experience of living there. We also have a number of our current students available to talk with via Unibuddy at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/chat/. Quite a few of them have lived on campus and would be happy to share their experiences of their accommodation with you.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by Calvi24

Hi @Calvi24, I lived in Horwood for the 2nd and 3rd year of my degree after living in Barnes for my 1st year. Each year the accommodation was shared bathroom. Within Horwood there is a range of accommodation options - they are all shared bathrooms as far as I know. However there are different options for how many people you have sharing a kitchen or bathroom. For instance in my final year I lived in a shared flat which meant that I was sharing a kitchen and bathroom with 5 other people.
If you're looking at Barnes hall, there are lots of options within that hall - not all the rooms are ensuite. There are rooms where you might be sharing facilities with 14 other people for example and some shared flats where you might just be sharing with 3 other people.
Like @Keele Postgraduate said sharing a kitchen and bathroom with others can be a great experience but it is mainly just down to personal preference.
I'd recommend going through the website and all the different options for rooms, this will hopefully help you to decide how many people you might want to share facilities with and then you can see which halls give you those options of accommodation.
If you have any more questions or need more information, feel free to ask.
Lucy :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Keele Students
Hi @Calvi24, I lived in Horwood for the 2nd and 3rd year of my degree after living in Barnes for my 1st year. Each year the accommodation was shared bathroom. Within Horwood there is a range of accommodation options - they are all shared bathrooms as far as I know. However there are different options for how many people you have sharing a kitchen or bathroom. For instance in my final year I lived in a shared flat which meant that I was sharing a kitchen and bathroom with 5 other people.
If you're looking at Barnes hall, there are lots of options within that hall - not all the rooms are ensuite. There are rooms where you might be sharing facilities with 14 other people for example and some shared flats where you might just be sharing with 3 other people.
Like @Keele Postgraduate said sharing a kitchen and bathroom with others can be a great experience but it is mainly just down to personal preference.
I'd recommend going through the website and all the different options for rooms, this will hopefully help you to decide how many people you might want to share facilities with and then you can see which halls give you those options of accommodation.
If you have any more questions or need more information, feel free to ask.
Lucy :smile:

Many thanks 😊

Quick Reply

Latest