The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Renal
White poppies? Don't think so.

missed that bit!
Reply 41
Poppies can smoke my pole. So can all the nationalist psychos who insist that everyone else should follow their delusional dreams.
Reply 42
yes. it annoys me how few people at college do though.
Reply 43
There's a discussion about just this on 5Live at the minute..
Reply 44
I've seen loads of people wearing red ones the last few days.

I would never wear one, but have nothing against those who do.
Reply 45
I wear one every year, although I had two this year as one randomly fell off my uniform...but yeah. I'm not made to wear one, it's my own personal choice.
Yeah I always get one, just showing my support and respect.
Reply 47
I don't wear one, but am happy about having the freedom that was won by the soldiers back then. I do observe the one minute silence (just gone)
I wear one, it's a matter of respect.
Reply 49
I buy them, but I tend to lose them or forget to swap it over when I change my clothes. I think about half my clothes now have poppys on so I suppose that's one solution!
i had one on today from lunch coz it was only then that i found out where the were being sold. We normally have a min silence at school but today we didnt, i was pretty annoyed by that
Reply 51
Celtic_Anthony
Wear one every year. This year has been different, worn about three at separate times. Damned stickies keep falling off, give us back our pins!

Yeah, taking the pins away completely (I think they first did that last year) was ridiculous - you don't see nearly so many people wearing them now.

The sticky ones are just pants, and I have to use a safety pin behind my lapel to properly fix my present one to my coat.
Reply 52
punktopia
Poppies can smoke my pole. So can all the nationalist psychos who insist that everyone else should follow their delusional dreams.

Your ilk would be the first to disappear if we had lost the war, just remember that.

I've had mine for about two weeks now, been wearing it most of the time just its so windy here you really have to watch that you don't loose it. A thing that annoyed me was the selling of those animal poppies, bloody disgusting some people are. I did my minutes silence in lecture today, everyone else but this boy and a girl were silent I felt like slapping them both, *****.
Reply 53
L i b
The sticky ones are just pants

Not true. I saw a girl wearing one on her blouse this morning. :wink:

TBH very few people at uni are wearing them.
Reply 54
L i b
Yeah, taking the pins away completely (I think they first did that last year) was ridiculous - you don't see nearly so many people wearing them now.

That's odd, all the ones I've bought down here in Southampton (from at least three different places) have had pins - I don't think I've seen the sticky ones at all.
Reply 55
I bought a poppy at school and wore it for a couple of days, but then it fell off and I forgot to put it back on....especially today :frown:
I'm going to be a bit contentious now. But seeing as I've already been negged, I don't care.
Yes, I donate to the poppy appeal, about a fiver each year, and yes, I have the upmost respect for those who fight or have done to give us the life we have today.
But still, there's this voice in my head that says the cash goes here: http://www.poppy.org.uk/index.php/where-your-money-goes.html which is fair enough, but I'd much rather give my cash to a disability charity (which I do, too) that does not discriminate and only help war vetrans.
And, for God's sake, we never stop for 2 mins to reflect on all the people whe have slaughtered over the years, I saw a graph today with just the civilian casualties in Iraq. Which made me feel sick, in all honesty.
Even that Harry dude, the oldest war vetran said something like: 'They all go on about remembering, but I'd rather we just forget it all.'
I'm aware that the British Legion were against the Iraq war, and I would never dispute that they do work, or state that people who wear poppies condone war. I just want to state my preference, by wearing a white poppy, that I will be a pacifist always, and that I wish the Poppy Appeal was not needed. Ever.

I'll finish from a quote from the White Poppy appeal, which I think everyone will agree on.

'But the question lingers: if the dead are said to have 'sacrificed' their lives, then why weren't the living, who came out of the same danger, being suitably honoured and cared for by the state that sent them into it? The language of Remembrance, in the light of that, looks more like propaganda than passion.'
Reply 57
QuantumTheory
And, for God's sake, we never stop for 2 mins to reflect on all the people whe have slaughtered over the years, I saw a graph today with just the civilian casualties in Iraq. Which made me feel sick, in all honesty.

The Remembrance Sunday ceremony I attended emphasised the suffering of civilian casualties in war too.

'But the question lingers: if the dead are said to have 'sacrificed' their lives, then why weren't the living, who came out of the same danger, being suitably honoured and cared for by the state that sent them into it? The language of Remembrance, in the light of that, looks more like propaganda than passion.'

Er, they are indeed honoured and cared for - that's what money from the poppy appeal goes towards...
Reply 58
QuantumTheory
I'm going to be a bit contentious now. But seeing as I've already been negged, I don't care.
Yes, I donate to the poppy appeal, about a fiver each year, and yes, I have the upmost respect for those who fight or have done to give us the life we have today.
But still, there's this voice in my head that says the cash goes here: http://www.poppy.org.uk/index.php/where-your-money-goes.html which is fair enough, but I'd much rather give my cash to a disability charity (which I do, too) that does not discriminate and only help war vetrans.
Even that Harry dude, the oldest war vetran said something like: 'They all go on about remembering, but I'd rather we just forget it all.'
I'm aware that the British Legion were against the Iraq war, and I would never dispute that they do work, or state that people who wear poppies condone war. I just want to state my preference, by wearing a white poppy, that I will be a pacifist always, and that I wish the Poppy Appeal was not needed. Ever.

I'll finish from a quote from the White Poppy appeal, which I think everyone will agree on.

Copied from the prayers offered at all Acts of Remembrance:

"Let us pray for all who suffer as a result of conflict..."
"For civilian women children and men whos lives are disfigured by war or terror..."

I spoke to a member of the RBL, a district secretary, and he completely agrees. Indeed I think we all do, that the world would be better off if the poppy appeal weren't needed, but it is...
Reply 59
Tory Dan
Your ilk would be the first to disappear if we had lost the war, just remember that.

I've had mine for about two weeks now, been wearing it most of the time just its so windy here you really have to watch that you don't loose it. A thing that annoyed me was the selling of those animal poppies, bloody disgusting some people are. I did my minutes silence in lecture today, everyone else but this boy and a girl were silent I felt like slapping them both, *****.

If my "ilk" had been in power globally, there would have been no war.

Latest

Trending

Trending