The Student Room Group

What poems can be linked with any other poem?

Does anyone have a list of the power and conflict poems I need to learn which can be linked to all the other poems. So that if a poem comes up, I can use one of these poems to compare the named poem with.
Reply 1
Original post by Mxxrcell
Does anyone have a list of the power and conflict poems I need to learn which can be linked to all the other poems. So that if a poem comes up, I can use one of these poems to compare the named poem with.

There's no poem that can compare to all others, but there are a few that I think are the best (presuming this is AQA):

Exposure: good for nature and to compare with any other war poems such as TCOTLB)

Ozymandias: good for nature and power (e.g. for Checking out Me History, My Last Duchess, Storm on the Island)

Remains: good for memories and also the reality of war (compare to Emigree, Poppies, etc.)

Poppies (as a backup in case Remains comes up for memories haha)
So those are the ones that I think are best for every theme. If you really wanted, you could probably narrow it down to Ozymandias and Remains - but then if either of them are the poems that come up, you can't compare them with anything else, hence the need for Exposure and Poppies. Just my personal opinion, but I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending