The Student Room Group

Preparing for the MAT exam as a Scottish pupil doing Advanced Highers

So the aim of the MAT is "to test the depth of mathematical understanding ... fourth term of their A-levels (or equivalent)". Will Students that are doing Advanced Higher Maths have covered the same material and amount of material by then? Or will they have already covered them in the Higher course. If so, then what topics? Thanks
Original post by teal_6_lemonade
So the aim of the MAT is "to test the depth of mathematical understanding ... fourth term of their A-levels (or equivalent)". Will Students that are doing Advanced Higher Maths have covered the same material and amount of material by then? Or will they have already covered them in the Higher course. If so, then what topics? Thanks

Not quite sure about the MAT but I know that the other tests like the TMUA and STEP cover topics not taught in Advanced Higher. For example, the STEP includes hyperbolic functions.

I'm in S6 right now and done ah maths last year and I haven't covered all topics which are included in mat, step, TMUA etc.

I'd recommend you work through the A-Level course content in your free time because MAT syllabus says "A-level Mathematics syllabus"
Reply 2
Original post by hetMakadia
Not quite sure about the MAT but I know that the other tests like the TMUA and STEP cover topics not taught in Advanced Higher. For example, the STEP includes hyperbolic functions.

I'm in S6 right now and done ah maths last year and I haven't covered all topics which are included in mat, step, TMUA etc.

I'd recommend you work through the A-Level course content in your free time because MAT syllabus says "A-level Mathematics syllabus"

Hi! just asking on the off chance that you have a list of topics that are in the TMUA that aren't covered by the SQA? I'm taking the TMUA in october this year
Original post by emkelt
Hi! just asking on the off chance that you have a list of topics that are in the TMUA that aren't covered by the SQA? I'm taking the TMUA in october this year

https://www.admissionstesting.org/Images/314861-test-of-mathematics-for-university-admission-test-specification.pdf

If you have any questions ask ahead.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply

Latest