The Student Room Group

Subject choice help

Hi,

Excuse the poor grammar on this post,

I'm in fifth year and chose higher math, english, french, modern studies and chemistry. Due to mental health reasons, Ive struggled immensely this year and had to drop maths.

I got all A1s in my Nat 5s and for the subjects I kept I am predicted As. Next year I hope to take advanced higher english, advanced higher french (fingers crossed my school can provide that course), higher spanish and then another higher, likely either RMPS or History

Uni wise, my dream is to study Comparative Literature at St Andrews.

I know it's rather irrational but I can't help worry I'm rather disadvantaged with having to drop a subject this year, and if I can't manage to get AH French next year that will leave me with only one advanced higher

Thoughts and perspectives? Will the lack of an additional higher and possibly not being able to take a second advanced higher limit me too much?
Hi there! I was in the exact same situation as you last year with your mental health. Honestly, if the university says they want 4 subjects, doing more is definitely in your favour. And that’s what you are doing: you did 5 instead of the standard 4. I’m sure that if you do really well in your exams and make a good enough personal statement you’ll be ok. If you want to go to university, advanced highers are also always in your favour, especially 2 or more. But if you only do one and your higher grades are better than the standard entry requirements already then I don’t see why they wouldn’t make you an offer.
not having a second advanced higher will not really impact you too much unless you want to apply to Oxbridge and the other top unis in England. The entry requirements for Comparative Literature at St. Andrews are AAAB so you should be fine
Hi!

I'm studying Advanced Higher English & French this year - both are great courses!

As for uni wise, I've just received an unconditional offer from St Andrews for English and French with my 5 highers, no mentions of my advanced highers at all.

I do think they're good to have but definitely not necessary for uni :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by xhannahliv
Hi!

I'm studying Advanced Higher English & French this year - both are great courses!

As for uni wise, I've just received an unconditional offer from St Andrews for English and French with my 5 highers, no mentions of my advanced highers at all.

I do think they're good to have but definitely not necessary for uni :smile:

Congrats. I wonder if yiu can help with a dilemma?

Daughter plans to do English in university- plans to apply to a mixture of Scottish and English universities by St Andrews likely to be her first choice.. Higher subjects include English, History, French, Art and Drama Has chosen Advanced Highers in English and History but unclear what else to take.

1. Is a third Advanced higher needed for Oxbridge /Durham/English universities ? or 2 and an extra Higher enough?

2. What other AH is good- she is thinking Drama

3. If the third is a Higher can she crash Philosophy?

any help in this regard is appreciated. 🙏🏼
Original post by helpfuldad
Congrats. I wonder if yiu can help with a dilemma?

Daughter plans to do English in university- plans to apply to a mixture of Scottish and English universities by St Andrews likely to be her first choice.. Higher subjects include English, History, French, Art and Drama Has chosen Advanced Highers in English and History but unclear what else to take.

1. Is a third Advanced higher needed for Oxbridge /Durham/English universities ? or 2 and an extra Higher enough?

2. What other AH is good- she is thinking Drama

3. If the third is a Higher can she crash Philosophy?

any help in this regard is appreciated. 🙏🏼

i'm not sure if it's needed but it's definitely the standard for English universities. i have a friend with an Oxford offer and she needs to get AAB in her advanced highers. English unis don't typically understand the Scottish qualifications system and consider advanced highers to be A-level equivalent, and normally disregard any highers (which obviously is not the case for Scottish unis)

I only have experience with AH English & French - both of which are really good courses. I would recommend taking AHs that she enjoys over what would be considered "good" as it definitely helps with revision/understanding and such.

my school offers Philosophy as a crash, but you would have to ask her school to confirm/deny :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ChocolateMinnow
Hi,

Excuse the poor grammar on this post,

I'm in fifth year and chose higher math, english, french, modern studies and chemistry. Due to mental health reasons, Ive struggled immensely this year and had to drop maths.

I got all A1s in my Nat 5s and for the subjects I kept I am predicted As. Next year I hope to take advanced higher english, advanced higher french (fingers crossed my school can provide that course), higher spanish and then another higher, likely either RMPS or History

Uni wise, my dream is to study Comparative Literature at St Andrews.

I know it's rather irrational but I can't help worry I'm rather disadvantaged with having to drop a subject this year, and if I can't manage to get AH French next year that will leave me with only one advanced higher

Thoughts and perspectives? Will the lack of an additional higher and possibly not being able to take a second advanced higher limit me too much?

Hi,
I am in fifth year too and had to drop higher maths for similar reasons - I am also worried about having one less higher at the end S5, but more so that unis will disfavour resits... because i was planning to do it in S6.

I am also not sure about advanced highers: how many are considered a "good" amount...if it is worth doing more highers and less advanced highers to widen your options... if the workload will be too much ( having chosen 2 ahs, and 2 crash highers for sixth year) and also considering I don't know if I want to go to an English uni... so I'm wondering if i should take more ahs to give me that option....ahhhhh as you can see... i am pretty clueless... any tips/ info would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending