The Student Room Group

Do unis actually care about extra-curriculars?

Is it worth even putting in the PS? I am applying for Maths, hopefully Oxbridge.
(edited 1 year ago)
for example?
Original post by _gcx
for example?

Working in a team, playing an instrument, playing a sport, going to the gym, part of a youth club, part of cadets, volunteering at a charity etc.
Original post by pinkdoughnut11
Working in a team, playing an instrument, playing a sport, going to the gym, part of a youth club, part of cadets, volunteering at a charity etc.

yeah wouldn't be too relevant. If you've done any olympiads, any extra projects or read any books those would be good inclusions (though it's important to say that it's not necessary to be good at olympiads to do a maths degree)
Original post by _gcx
yeah wouldn't be too relevant. If you've done any olympiads, any extra projects or read any books those would be good inclusions (though it's important to say that it's not necessary to be good at olympiads to do a maths degree)

Yeah ok cool ty :smile: I have some books and maths challenges under my belt which I have already included, but just wanted to confirm about extracurriculars. So only mention them if I am unbelievably thirsty for words?
What they do show is that you are capable of achieving your results whilst having a life. If you get all A*s because you did nothing but study then that wouldn't show as well against someone with the same grades who also committed significant time to extra curriculars.
For most top universities, particularly Oxford and Cambridge, supercurriculars (activities done outside of lesson time which relate to the subject you want to study) are much more important than extracurriculars (activities done outside of lesson time which are unrelated to the subject you want to study). While extracurriculars can show you have capacity to do things outside your studies and take on positions of responsibility, unis are generally keener to know why you want to study the course you've applied for and what you've done to explore your subject. If you do talk about extracurriculars which are less relevant to the course you're applying for, make sure to talk about what you got out of doing them, rather than just list the things you do without thinking too much about them. Hope this helps!
Original post by pinkdoughnut11
Yeah ok cool ty :smile: I have some books and maths challenges under my belt which I have already included, but just wanted to confirm about extracurriculars. So only mention them if I am unbelievably thirsty for words?

essentially yes, the focus on your personal statement should be on why you want to study maths at university and all the great things you do to make you a strong candidate. and then maybe a bit of you in general towards the end
One of @Peterhouse Admissions former colleagues and TSR contributor once stated that the only thing maths admissions tutors really cared about was the applicant's ability to do Very Hard Sums! 😁

Quick Reply

Latest