The Student Room Group

extracurriculars & volunteering for uni application

What extra-curriculars, volunteering opportunities, and other activities do prestigious universities like Cambridge, St Andrews, and Edinburgh actually care about? It may be worth noting that I'm mainly applying for Economics.
Since the summer is coming up I feel as though I should be very productive and do everything I can to seem like an impressive candidate, so all help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by rosewallsxx
What extra-curriculars, volunteering opportunities, and other activities do prestigious universities like Cambridge, St Andrews, and Edinburgh actually care about? It may be worth noting that I'm mainly applying for Economics.
Since the summer is coming up I feel as though I should be very productive and do everything I can to seem like an impressive candidate, so all help would be greatly appreciated!

Cambridge themselves say they only care about ones related to the academic field you want to apply for. So essay competitions, and work experience (for things like medicine and possibly economics I'm not sure) are what you're looking for. Gold DofE and volunteering at the charity shop mean very little to them.
Reply 2
Original post by rosewallsxx

For Cambridge, A-Level Further Maths with Pure and Statistics papers chosen. Also any relevant work experience in London or elsewhere. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending