The Student Room Group

Worth adding extra curriculars?

Hello, I am in the process of refining my personal statement, and I am finding there is a lot of things I want to include, but have not got enough space to do so. I have a small paragraph where I mention some extra things I do (Mainly talking about my running and DofE/Duke of york stuff) and I have heard where I am looking at (Cambridge for maths hopefully) really will not care about this, so I was wondering if it was worth cutting out, or if I should keep it if other unis care about it in case I do not get in?
Extra curricular activities are only worth adding if you are able to explain there impact on you and why this makes you a better candidate. Anything that will persuade the uni that you are able to be independent, resilient, passionate about the course,( books, experience, lectures) and good social skills/professionalism is worth adding.

I like to think of the personal statement as and introduction about yourself and a reassurance to the uni that you'll do well on the course and handling uni life.

If it's too long speak to someone at your school who will give advice on what to cut out. You may complete different personal statements for different universities, I think, so it may be that they contain slightly different information.

Hope this helps.
Original post by MathsEnjoyer
Hello, I am in the process of refining my personal statement, and I am finding there is a lot of things I want to include, but have not got enough space to do so. I have a small paragraph where I mention some extra things I do (Mainly talking about my running and DofE/Duke of york stuff) and I have heard where I am looking at (Cambridge for maths hopefully) really will not care about this, so I was wondering if it was worth cutting out, or if I should keep it if other unis care about it in case I do not get in?

Extra curriculars are definitely useful for exemplifying other skills you have which make you a good student! Being at university is so much more than being 'clever', it requires problem solving, perseverence, collaboration skills - DofE could be used as an example for any three of these and there are so many others! Any other questions feel free to get in touch!

Good luck!
Jake
Year 3, BSc Mathematics with Physics
Heriot-Watt University
Reply 3
Original post by MathsEnjoyer

Always worth putting in stuff to show your ability outside of academia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending