The Student Room Group

reflection physics

how does reflection change wavelength and frequency and why does it change it?
Original post by M.H4kim

I assume you are talking about GCSE? If so I believe the wavelength & frequency do not change due to reflection, they change due to refraction. The reason being is because during reflection the wave does not change medium (i.e air, solid etc), therefore the speed of the wave does not slow down so the frequency and wavelength do not change (due to velocity = frequency x wavelength). In terms of refraction, if the wave enters a denser medium (e.g from air to glass), then the wave will slow down (due to there being more particles and so it is more difficult for the wave to pass through). Therefore, when speed decreases, the as frequency stays constant (otherwise the type of wave changes), then the wavelength decreases too. Hope that helps 😊
Original post by M.H4kim

Looks like that you are asking for the electromagnetic wave of the light. The frequency can't be changed, this unit is constant. If any, the wavelength can be changed under certain circumstances when the light goes into a denser medium. If that happens, the speed of the wave decreases and thus the wavelength too. And because both speed and wavelength decreases, the reflection is constant.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest