The Student Room Group

should i drop alevel physics?

im a year 12 student taking maths, further maths, chemistry, and physics and planning to study maths at uni

im in the process of dropping physics as a subject but i don't know if im making a mistake, i'm doing well in the lessons and have spent the last 3 months studying it but i dread the lessons and its making me unhappy

i don't know whether its worth dropping or if im significantly limiting my future options and wasting an opportunity
please help!!
Original post by ailema383
im a year 12 student taking maths, further maths, chemistry, and physics and planning to study maths at uni

im in the process of dropping physics as a subject but i don't know if im making a mistake, i'm doing well in the lessons and have spent the last 3 months studying it but i dread the lessons and its making me unhappy

i don't know whether its worth dropping or if im significantly limiting my future options and wasting an opportunity
please help!!

Hi,
I can't say I changed my A-level courses but I did change my undergraduate course in my first year of university from criminology and sociology to Journalism, before doing so I considered the following:

Passion and Interest:
For example: Reflect on your interest in physics. If you find that you genuinely enjoy the subject and the challenges it presents, it might be worth sticking with it. On the other hand, if you dread the lessons and studying, it could be an indication that your interests lie elsewhere.

University Course Requirements:
Be sure to research the specific requirements for the mathematics program at the universities you're interested in. In some universities, it may be necessary to have a qualification in physics for certain courses or they may value it in their admissions process. Ensure that dropping physics won't limit your options for the universities/programs you're considering.

Career Goals:
Consider your career goals and whether physics is directly relevant to your desired field. While having a strong foundation in mathematics is important for a math-focused program, it's also crucial to align your academic choices with your future career aspirations.

Mental Well-being:
Your mental well-being is paramount. If continuing with physics is causing significant stress and unhappiness, it's important to weigh the potential benefits against the negative impact on your overall well-being. A healthy and balanced approach to your studies is essential for long-term success.

Seek Guidance:
Talk to your teachers, and academic advisors for guidance. They can provide valuable insights into the importance of physics in your chosen field of study and offer advice tailored to your specific situation.

Explore Alternatives:
If you decide to drop physics, consider other relevant activities or courses that showcase your passion for mathematics. This could include participating in additional math-related courses.

I hope these suggestions help!

Best wishes,
Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest