The Student Room Group

EPQ for MEDICINE

Started y12 today and I’m pretty confused on what u need to do for the EPQ. Im aware that there’s a presentation that’s compulsory and that there’s a written report, is that what the EPQ requires u to do only? I’ve heard you can make an artefact also but I’m not sure how that would work.
I’m also stuck on what topic to choose and I’ve seen a couple of examples where their topics are very specific and was wondering if you could do something that is quite open, eg talking about life long effects of a certain disorder/analysing a particular cure for a disorder/disease?
I’ve also seen that u need to do research for this but was wondering do you need to do any physical research for medicine EPQ like collecting data from a lab? Or can you just research things online?
Reply 1
Original post by imbambob
Started y12 today and I’m pretty confused on what u need to do for the EPQ. Im aware that there’s a presentation that’s compulsory and that there’s a written report, is that what the EPQ requires u to do only? I’ve heard you can make an artefact also but I’m not sure how that would work.
I’m also stuck on what topic to choose and I’ve seen a couple of examples where their topics are very specific and was wondering if you could do something that is quite open, eg talking about life long effects of a certain disorder/analysing a particular cure for a disorder/disease?
I’ve also seen that u need to do research for this but was wondering do you need to do any physical research for medicine EPQ like collecting data from a lab? Or can you just research things online?

To the best of my knowledge you have 2 options: an artefact (literally anything: music, a video, a film, an object, a painting- my teacher created a robot for hers!) and then a 1,000 word essay describing it I think, there may be more to the essay aspect for this one.

Or the other option is a 5,000 word essay on any question you can choose that is outside the scope of your current subject choices. It might be helpful to hone into one thing and research that one thing as you have to write quite a lot about it!

Try brainstorm different points/examples for your different topics and see which you’re most interested in and which gives you the most to write about!

Also check online for EPQ example essays/artefact examples etc. good luck!
Original post by imbambob

Hey I did an EPQ that revolved around medicine and received a perfect score.

The written report/final essay + presentation is just one side of the EPQ. The other part would be your production log, where you detail every step of your project. This is actually the most important part of the project and where you can gain most of the marks. You note down your initial ideas, write of the comments your supervisor gives to you throughout and how you use this to better your project, reflect on the skills you have gained and any plans you make for your project etc.

If you want to do an EPQ on med you should always opt for the 5000 word essay as your final product. Artefacts tend to score lower and for med there are simply not a lot of options. You can indeed start with something quite broad but over time refine your question (this is one of the things they expect you to do as it shows reflection on your topic based on further research). Reflection is key and you should note down every little change you make and the reasons for doing so. Physical research is good but not necessary. It can simply be a survey or in my case, I talked to doctors during my shadowing and have them answer questions I had. Researching things online is also sufficient but you must display a variety of resources (e-books, YT videos, journals etc). If you are applying for med, I advice you to pick a topic that is current. This way, you can talk about the dynamic nature of the topic (relate it to the ever-changing field of medicine). You can also talk about your EPQ in your personal statement and this can be discussed during interviews. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending