The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE without an EPQ? (Anthropology)

I'm applying for lse social anthropology for 2023 and I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the EPQ is implicitly required? I've had to quit mine due to my arthritis. Quite worried because I am only doing 3 A levels and only have 7 GCSEs (again due to arthritis).
Also any advice from anyone that got in?
Thank you :smile:.
Original post by Spilerrrrrr
I'm applying for lse social anthropology for 2023 and I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the EPQ is implicitly required? I've had to quit mine due to my arthritis. Quite worried because I am only doing 3 A levels and only have 7 GCSEs (again due to arthritis).
Also any advice from anyone that got in?
Thank you :smile:.

The EPQ is not compulsory. So you can still apply but bear in mind that there are just over 11 applicants per place at LSE. Also, you only need AAB grades at A-Level, so aim for A*A*A* and you might be a stronger ranked applicant. But, nonetheless, you will require a strong UCAS Personal Statement, as everybody has the same grades achieved and predicted. So write your Personal Statement very carefully.

How many A*s and A's do you have at GCSE? As long as they're mainly A's you should be fine. Also, you can get your referee to write about your arthritis in your reference.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by thegeek888
The EPQ is not compulsory. So you can still apply but bear in mind that there are just over 11 applicants per place at LSE. Also, you only need AAB grades at A-Level, so aim for A*A*A* and you might be a stronger ranked applicant. But, nonetheless, you will require a strong UCAS Personal Statement, as everybody has the same grades achieved and predicted. So write your Personal Statement very carefully.

How many A*s and A's do you have at GCSE? As long as they're mainly A's you should be fine. Also, you can get your referee to write about your arthritis in your reference.

Thanks for replying!

I got three A*s three A's and a B at GCSE.

My PS is all academic and has about seven books with some indepth analysis. It's quite broad to match the degree though.

I'm predicted all A*s at A level with a 100% average in mocks for one of my subjects.
Thanks for replying!

I got three A*s three A's and a B at GCSE.

My PS is all academic and has about seven books with some indepth analysis. It's quite broad to match the degree though.

I'm predicted all A*s at A level with a 100% average in mocks for one of my subjects.

What A-Levels are you doing? Because LSE has a preference for traditional academic A-Level subjects.

Your GCSEs are fine, but I wonder what the B grade was achieved in? And do you have B's and above in Maths and English Language?

You are a strong applicant with your predictions. :smile:

How can you list 7 books?! :s-smilie: What about the content of Year 1 in the degree? Relate it to the modules you'll be studying at LSE? :wink:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by thegeek888
What A-Levels are you doing? Because LSE has a preference for traditional academic A-Level subjects.

Your GCSEs are fine, but I wonder what the B grade was achieved in? And do you have B's and above in Maths and English Language?

You are a strong applicant with your predictions. :smile:

How can you list 7 books?! :s-smilie: What about the content of Year 1 in the degree? Relate it to the modules you'll be studying at LSE? :wink:

I'm taking Classical Civilisation, English Literature and Politics.
I broke the books down into areas related to modules and then discussed why they made me want to do anthropology. I covered Medicine,language,politics, Colonization and economics.

I got the B in the second half of combined science ;(
A in maths and A*s in English
I'm taking Classical Civilisation, English Literature and Politics.
I broke the books down into areas related to modules and then discussed why they made me want to do anthropology. I covered Medicine,language,politics, Colonization and economics.

I got the B in the second half of combined science ;(
A in maths and A*s in English

That's awesome!!! :biggrin:

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/degree-programmes-2023/BSc-Social-Anthropology

But look at LSE modules, and perhaps relate some part of your UCAS Personal Statement to one or two modules, especially in Year 1.

Your GCSEs are fine, but you really need to get A*AA or more to compete with the 4 A-Levels and 5 or more A-Levels from top schools. :frown:

75% of your UCAS Personal Statement is expected to be academic and the rest on your other interests outside academia. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending