The Student Room Group

PGDE - Scotland 2023 Applicants Thread!

Thought I would get this thread started as we only have about 6-7 weeks until UCAS opens for applications! :eek:

Some icebreaker questions to get us all started! :biggrin:

Name:
Applying at:

(Give as much or as little detail as you want!)

I'll start!

Name: Ellen
Specific Course: Primary (hopefully!)
Applying at: Glasgow, Strathclyde, UWS, and Edinbrugh!

How about everyone else? Good luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Hi Ellen!
I’m Megan, and I’m currently living near Edinburgh. Applying for PGDE Primary at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde, and Dundee 😁

How is everyone getting on with personal statements?
That is the hardest part for me so far! 😬
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I’m hoping to apply for Glasgow, Strathclyde, UWS, Edinburgh and Dundee. I was just wondering if my lack of experience in a primary school will prevent me from getting interviews? Do you have experience in a school? I’m starting to think about my application and getting stressed that I really don’t have time to get experience in a school right now 😬
Original post by scottishst25
Hi, I’m hoping to apply for Glasgow, Strathclyde, UWS, Edinburgh and Dundee. I was just wondering if my lack of experience in a primary school will prevent me from getting interviews? Do you have experience in a school? I’m starting to think about my application and getting stressed that I really don’t have time to get experience in a school right now 😬

Hi! 😊
I obviously can’t speak for admissions but everything I’ve seen on the uni websites and different forums do suggest that experience in a school would be advantageous for your application, but it’s not an automatic rejection if you don’t have it. I guess it would depend on what other experience you have, your personal statement, and reference as well. 😊
Hi everyone
I'm Olivia and hoping to apply to the PGDE Primary at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde and Dundee. I'm changing career so don't have a lot of classroom experience either but have some. They take into account other things like brownies, tutoring and after school club volunteering etc as well.
I'm struggling with personal statement too at the minute, not a huge amount of space! Unsure how much space to take up explaining a bit about my job and how it's relevant to teaching, or mainly just focus on experience you have working with children. Anyone else in the same boat?
Original post by Olivia.041
Hi everyone
I'm Olivia and hoping to apply to the PGDE Primary at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde and Dundee. I'm changing career so don't have a lot of classroom experience either but have some. They take into account other things like brownies, tutoring and after school club volunteering etc as well.
I'm struggling with personal statement too at the minute, not a huge amount of space! Unsure how much space to take up explaining a bit about my job and how it's relevant to teaching, or mainly just focus on experience you have working with children. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hey Olivia! I’m pretty much the same, have been working for 12+ years but went back to uni and now in my 4th year and applying for the PGDE so it’s a massive change!
I’m definitely feeling the same with the personal statement, I feel as though I’m writing way too much and not sure what bits to cut out because to me it all feels relevant but I’m most likely rambling 🤪😂
Original post by meganlucinda
Hey Olivia! I’m pretty much the same, have been working for 12+ years but went back to uni and now in my 4th year and applying for the PGDE so it’s a massive change!
I’m definitely feeling the same with the personal statement, I feel as though I’m writing way too much and not sure what bits to cut out because to me it all feels relevant but I’m most likely rambling 🤪😂

Ah yeah I know the feeling! 😂 It's taking a while and I'm sure there will be a fair few drafts to come but exciting all the same! Are you applying for Primary as well?
Hello! I’ve sent my UCAS PGDE application to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and Strathclyde! Hoping to get in with an ordinary degree as I currently work in a school! Fingers crossed
Original post by Olivia.041
Ah yeah I know the feeling! 😂 It's taking a while and I'm sure there will be a fair few drafts to come but exciting all the same! Are you applying for Primary as well?

Yeah definitely! I see a few edits in my future 😅 yes I’m applying for primary as well! Currently doing one day per week in a school for experience and I’m absolutely loving it 😁
Reply 9
Hello everyone,

I am applying for PGDE Secondary in either Modern Studies or History. Having been sadly unsuccessful last year I'm extra motivated this time around to make my application as strong as it can be. I'm sure this forum will be a great tool in doing that!
Hey guys! Would anyone have any advice on how to incorporate understanding of the CfE into my personal statement without it sounding like I’ve just copied from a book? I’ve done so much research and I have experience in a school, I’m just reeeeally struggling with that part of the PS 🫣
Hi Ellen!
I’m Megan, and I’m currently living near Edinburgh. Applying for PGDE Primary at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde, and Dundee 😁

How is everyone getting on with personal statements?
That is the hardest part for me so far! 😬

I've not even started my personal statement yet! I need to get on it but don't even know where to start!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DoctorWhat?
I've not even started my personal statement yet! I need to get on it but don't even know where to start!

I was the same with mine, it’s so hard!
There are a couple of really helpful guides put out by Aberdeen and Glasgow unis - if you search PGDE personal statement Aberdeen uni or Glasgow uni on google they should be the top option, it gives you a really good breakdown of what they’re looking for!
I am struggling to fit my personal statement in to 47 lines. I put my first draft into one of those UCAS character counters and it was 76 lines! Really don’t know what to cut for the final edit. I am applying for primary PGDE. Hoping to submit my application next week.
Original post by helenmd
I am struggling to fit my personal statement in to 47 lines. I put my first draft into one of those UCAS character counters and it was 76 lines! Really don’t know what to cut for the final edit. I am applying for primary PGDE. Hoping to submit my application next week.

I was the exact same, my first draft was 6000 characters and 65 lines! It’s taken me two weeks to edit it down, going back every other day with fresh eyes, but I finally got there!
If you’re at uni still, do you have a student advice centre or similar? Often they’ll have people who can review personal statements for you to help you in the right direction!
I was the exact same, my first draft was 6000 characters and 65 lines! It’s taken me two weeks to edit it down, going back every other day with fresh eyes, but I finally got there!
If you’re at uni still, do you have a student advice centre or similar? Often they’ll have people who can review personal statements for you to help you in the right direction!

Can I ask Megan, could you only mark your personal statement as complete on the application form in the “preview” state i.e. The number of lines were noted down the left hand side? I contacted UCAS and they told me it would only look like that at my end and the universities would receive it as a normal block of text. Just want to check the guy was telling me the truth because it looks pretty weird at my end!
Original post by helenmd
Can I ask Megan, could you only mark your personal statement as complete on the application form in the “preview” state i.e. The number of lines were noted down the left hand side? I contacted UCAS and they told me it would only look like that at my end and the universities would receive it as a normal block of text. Just want to check the guy was telling me the truth because it looks pretty weird at my end!

Yeah mine was the exact same don’t worry! I remember it being like that when I originally applied to uni years ago as well and panicked that it looked awful, as far as I’m aware it goes through to them exactly how you’ve formatted it in the word doc! 😊
There are a couple of really helpful guides put out by Aberdeen and Glasgow unis - if you search PGDE personal statement Aberdeen uni or Glasgow uni on google they should be the top option, it gives you a really good breakdown of what they’re looking for!

Ah thank you!!

I haven't even started yet as I have been so stressed about it, so I will have a look!

Hi, yes we do have a guide on that! You can find that here and hopefully should be useful: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/careers/resources/documents/4072.pdf

I'm sure other universities that are offering PGDE will also have their own advice documents and pages floating about but this advice should be applicable to any PGDE application you are making. When you're applying universities will already have your qualifications, so really just make sure you're putting emphasis on the extracurricular experience that makes you right for the course.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Hello all!

I did the PGDE primary at UWS 2 years ago, finished my probation last year and got a permanent post so if anyone has any questions about the application process/PGDE/teaching then I'd be delighted to help! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending