The Student Room Group

PGDE and ordinary degree

Hello, i am going to get an Ordinary Degree June 2024 if all goes well. I am currently volunteering at a primary school one day a week, and i am basically an unpaid teaching assistant at this point. I am wondering if any universities in Scotland would accept my Ordinary Degree (i have done 4 years of uni so far, changed my degree, so i have done 2 years of psychology and 2 years of philosophy) for going onto a PGDE? thanks!
Reply 1
If you have an option to get the ‘honours’ then I really recommend that you do. My degree was a non honours - not through choice, they just didn’t offer one - and it’s been so frustrating trying to move forward with it into teaching.

I was rejected from Strathclyde just because I didn’t have an honours without an interview, but have been offered an interview for my other two choices.

Sounds like you have lot of great experience in the classroom though! Definitely apply!
Reply 2
You have just as much chance of being accepted to PGDE courses with an ordinary degree as you do with an honours degree. To be honest, it all comes down to your experience in schools, your knowledge, and your personal statement on your applications. I have an ordinary degree is Social Sciences from UWS and I was offered a place at Strathclyde and Edinburgh to study PGDE. I’m now in my NQT year. Just focus on your application content 👍🏼

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending