The Student Room Group

art gcse or photography gcse?

I am currently around five weeks into school of year 10. I picked art for gcse, I quite like it but in the same time I also quite want to do photography. I already have another creative other than art which is music so I don't think it would be a good idea for me to pick both are and photography.

I like both art and photography equally, the only reason I picked art was because in year 9 I did not really get to experience and try out photography but I now I have seen my friends doing photography and I think it looks quite fun.

I have a few questions about these two gcses (sorry if these question seem a bit dumb):
1. I love both of these subjects but I also do wish to spend my time on other subjects too, so I was wondering does the time that is needed to be spent of these two subjects quite similar?
2. Will there be more writing in photography, because I seen some works from others online and I feel like photography has more writing to do.
3. For photography is the time that needs to be spent split into taking photos and editing or is it just mostly editing?
Hi, I took both art and photography for GCSE from year 9 however I ended up dropping out of art in year 11. I would always reccomend photography over art but that is from a very personal experience, so take this with a pinch of salt. For me, I always found that I spent more time on art than anything else and when I finally dropped out, I had time to focus on all of my subjects equally. There is writing for photography but I wouldn't say it's that much more than art and its definitely easier to write about things. I always spent more time editing photos than taking them too, but the editing is the fun part. I honestly absoultely loved photography and really miss it as a year 13. Bear in mind that I did not actually do the photography exam, due to covid, so I cannot comment on that! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps
hi i am doing art and photography gcse and im in y11 my gcse exam is next week for both photography and art. theyre very similar to eachother. i love them both however i have found myself working on them more than the main suubjects (maths, science, english) i enjoy art and photography so much so i say go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest