The Student Room Group

Art A Level (Fine Art)

I'm thinking of doing Art for A Level but I'd like to hear other people's experience of doing Art for A Level as I've heard art gcse is nothing like Art A Level. I also want to go into a designing career that is related to either architecture or engineering so I'm wondering if Art a level would be better to take or Product Design/Engineering.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by wwuiuiwu
I'm thinking of doing Art for A Level but I'd like to hear other people's experience of doing Art for A Level as I've heard art gcse is nothing like Art A Level. I also want to go into a designing career that is related to either architecture or engineering so I'm wondering if Art a level would be better to take or Product Design/Engineering.

Out of all the more practical and creative a levels (art, graphics, photography, etc) art is by FAR the most time consuming. You’ll be working on it almost daily to get a decent grade. I think if you want to go into a designing career I would do graphics, as this subject takes aspects of both drawing, photography and digital modifications into one area (and it’s less time consuming as your portfolio will be online so you can type rather than in a sketch book, one page takes years in those!)

Edit: what other a levels have you picked ?
(edited 2 months ago)
Personally, I find that art a-level is actually very similar to what I did at gcse but that might be because we were given a lot of freedom in my school. It is very time consuming and I end up in the art rooms a lot trying to finish a project in time but if you really liked taking art for gcse and get a good grade in it then it's worth it because you get so much more time to actually create something meaningful in the lessons. I also take 3 other subjects and sometimes it is difficult to get work done for them due to spending a lot of time on art course work to be honest- but again I think it just depends on how much you like taking art for it to be worth doing.

In terms of the designing career stuff- I guess it is down to what the college/6th form offers because mine doesn't offer any product design a level so the people who want to go in to architecture are taking art and doing a more focused EPQ as well. But I think taking art is more based on if you think you will put the time into it because otherwise you won't get a good grade.
Reply 3
Original post by greentiger
Out of all the more practical and creative a levels (art, graphics, photography, etc) art is by FAR the most time consuming. You’ll be working on it almost daily to get a decent grade. I think if you want to go into a designing career I would do graphics, as this subject takes aspects of both drawing, photography and digital modifications into one area (and it’s less time consuming as your portfolio will be online so you can type rather than in a sketch book, one page takes years in those!)

Edit: what other a levels have you picked ?

thank youu, I picked maths and physics as my other a levels
Reply 4

I did art a level and design technology for alevel as dont find them that bad !
Reply 5

I did art a level and design technology for a-level as don’t find them that bad !
I also didn’t do art at gcse and I liked it I didn’t find it too hard just a bit time consuming as both subjects. Have to spend time to go either in the workshop or art room.
There deadlines for me are close but I have enough time for each!
Reply 6

I did art a level and design technology (product design) for a-level as don’t find them that bad !
I also didn’t do art at gcse and I liked it I didn’t find it too hard just a bit time consuming as both subjects. Have to spend time to go either in the workshop or art room.
Reply 7
thank youu, I picked maths and physics as my other a levels

I did art a level and design technology (product design) for a-level as don’t find them that bad !

Quick Reply

Latest