The Student Room Group

Choosing GCSE subjects

Hi All, Good Day.

I am currently in Year 9 and I have to choose GCSE subjects for Year 10 and 11. I would like to choose my career in Medicine. Hence decided to take Maths, English Language, English Literature, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

I need to choose 2 other subjects from Geography, Arts and Spanish. As of now I am interested to choose Geography. But unable to decide between Spanish and Arts.
Can anyone please help me with your valuable suggestions about GCSE Spanish and GCSE Arts with pros and cons.

Thank you for all your support.
(edited 2 months ago)
Art is a lot of work - it is a lot of coursework and everyone I knew who took it found it very time consuming. I did GCSE Spanish (and then dropped it) and if you have good knowledge of the language already you will probably be ok. I wish I took art over Spanish, but that is my own personal preference.
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Art is a lot of work - it is a lot of coursework and everyone I knew who took it found it very time consuming. I did GCSE Spanish (and then dropped it) and if you have good knowledge of the language already you will probably be ok. I wish I took art over Spanish, but that is my own personal preference.

So do you suggest choosing Spanish over Art due to lot of coursework?
Original post by BaHarshi

So do you suggest choosing Spanish over Art due to lot of coursework?

no, it's more something to be aware of when making your decision
Reply 4
Original post by BaHarshi
Hi All, Good Day.
I am currently in Year 9 and I have to choose GCSE subjects for Year 10 and 11. I would like to choose my career in Medicine. Hence decided to take Maths, English Language, English Literature, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
I need to choose 2 other subjects from Geography, Arts and Spanish. As of now I am interested to choose Geography. But unable to decide between Spanish and Arts.
Can anyone please help me with your valuable suggestions about GCSE Spanish and GCSE Arts with pros and cons.
Thank you for all your support.

I'd go for Spanish as art won't help you much for medicine career. Universities love people who do languages and it will enable you to speak with a wider variety of people as Spanish is the 3rd most common language which I think will be very useful for medicine.

Now Im a year 11 doing Spanish gcse and I've always found it easy because I speak Italian however from an outsiders view it is a necessity to be up to date with the topics you learn. There is lots of vocab to learn and you need to know the right phrases to boost your grade off by heart (Especially in the speaking exam). If you struggle with Spanish and your school doesn't offer any other language you are more comfortable with, it is risky to pick it.

Art gcse is very content heavy and difficult to get higher grades as it is mostly about your annotations and progression. But it does give you wider range of creative careers and many a levels need you to have taken an art subject such as photography/textiles(which I do)

Overall if you are DEAD set on studying medicine and it's your passion, Spanish will be better and art will be a waste of time and effort but if you are in ANY way unsure medicine is your career pathway choose art because it will widen your job opportunities

Quick Reply

Latest