The Student Room Group

GCSE Art and Design OR Photography

My daughter is in year 9 and about to choose her options for GCSE. She is very good at painting and drawing so Art and Design is her choice but she also wants to pick separate sciences with clashes with Art on the Options Block so it has been suggested that she pick photography instead.

We would appreciate any advice from anyone who has experience with GCSE Photography or can compare the two. And also would she be able to do A level Art and Design if she does photography please?
Original post by leen007
My daughter is in year 9 and about to choose her options for GCSE. She is very good at painting and drawing so Art and Design is her choice but she also wants to pick separate sciences with clashes with Art on the Options Block so it has been suggested that she pick photography instead.

We would appreciate any advice from anyone who has experience with GCSE Photography or can compare the two. And also would she be able to do A level Art and Design if she does photography please?
If drawing and painting is her passion then she should definitely pick art because photography is not like traditional art, although she should look into it more. doing combined science also isn’t really bad at all. i did it and i preferred it much more as it was less demanding so i had more time and energy to work on my art.
Thanks so much for your reply, the problem is, because the way the subject blocks are.

She can either pick:
Separate Science and Photography or Art and Combined Science.

She wants to do Art and Separate Science. So she is very dissapointed.
Can she do Art A level if she picks GCSE Photography?
Original post by eahayford007
Can she do Art A level if she picks GCSE Photography?

Most likely yes. But that’s mainly dependent on what the schools requirements are
Original post by bless.xd1144
Most likely yes. But that’s mainly dependent on what the schools requirements are
Thank you. We have now decided she will stick with Art and Combined Science. She has a passion for Art and she is good at it. And also good at science but she only wants do pick Chemistry A level. Thank you for your help
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by eahayford007
Thank you. We have now decided she will stick with Art and Combined Science. She has a passion for Art and she is good at it. And also good at science but she only wants do pick Chemistry A level. Thank you for your help

No problem, She made the same choice I did! I wish her the best of luck in her studies

Quick Reply

Latest