The Student Room Group

Acommadation

ANyone else in catered acom finding it way harder to make friends at uni ? Visiting my friends in flats, the vibe seems so much better :frown:
Original post by cherriesnscience
ANyone else in catered acom finding it way harder to make friends at uni ? Visiting my friends in flats, the vibe seems so much better :frown:

Hi @cherriesnscience
I am sorry to hear you are struggling with who you are living with, unfortunately some flats are just much quieter than others, but this gives you the opportunity to go out and find friends other ways! For example; through your course, different societies, sports groups, every uni has plenty of opportunities to make new friends.
It is a real shame when your flat isn't what you were expecting, but it sounds like your group at the other flat make up for some of that! Have you made a group chat with your flatmates? If you haven't this is good way to see if people are up for meeting later that week, without having to rely on bumping into each other in the corridor!

I hope these tips help!
Carina :smile: University of Southampton Ambassador
Original post by cherriesnscience

Hello @cherriesnscience,

I hope you are doing well. I'm Saba, I am currently a second year law student at Coventry University. Firstly, I want to say that I am sorry that you are going through this. However, I can also reassure you that you are not alone! It is very hard to make friends at the university and flat mates sometimes may not be the best choice as the environment can be drastically different from flat to flat. Personally, in my first year, most of my close friends were my flat mates however this year it is a much more different environment with my new flat mates. However, after I tried getting out of my comfort zone I was able to get closer to them. The best way to that would probably be communicating with them more. For example having a group chat can make it a lot easier to talk each other! You can also arrange like a dinner night so everyone can get to know each other! Lastly, People are more likely to be drawn to you if they sense that you are authentic and genuine. So, be yourself and let your personality shine through.

I hope this will work!

Wish you the best,

Saba
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Reply 3
I totally understand what you're saying. It can be tougher to make friends when you live in a place where meals are provided because you don't have as many chances to talk to your roommates outside of eating times. But when you live in a regular flat, you all share the same space, so you're more likely to spend time together in the kitchen, living room, or even just chatting in your rooms. This makes it easier to become friends and get to know each other better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending