The Student Room Group

How did you know what uni was for you

Wondering if people got ‘that feeling’ when they were visiting unis that told them it was the one for them. I’m stuck between the uni of Leeds and the uni of Southampton, visited and liked them both. Never got a feeling that told me it was where I should be. Did anyone get that feeling or did some people like it but not get the feeling but still love it. At this point I think I’ll be flipping a coin to see where I’ll go.
Thanks in advance
Original post by Sklkillsme
Wondering if people got ‘that feeling’ when they were visiting unis that told them it was the one for them. I’m stuck between the uni of Leeds and the uni of Southampton, visited and liked them both. Never got a feeling that told me it was where I should be. Did anyone get that feeling or did some people like it but not get the feeling but still love it. At this point I think I’ll be flipping a coin to see where I’ll go.
Thanks in advance

Not everyone gets "that feeling". Many simply make pros and cons lists and make the decision that way. If course, sometimes that still doesn't result in a decision. :smile:
Thanks in advance

Hi there!

I visited quite a few universities and liked a few of them so I wouldn't necessarily say that I got 'that feeling' for just one place. When I looked around Hallam, I definitely got a really good feeling about it; everyone was friendly and helpful and I went to some talks which I really liked. I also really liked the city centre and accommodations and could see myself living there.

I also got good feelings about a couple of others too and could also see myself living there so in the end I had to narrow it down with a pros and cons list which I think helped me to see that I preferred Hallam the most, mostly because of how nice everybody was which helped me to feel like I would fit in.

I would say to see if there is an applicant open day which you could attend to see if this makes your mind up, however I appreciate that they are both quite far away from each other which might make this tricky! I would also look at student reviews of the places and this is a good platform to find out about student experiences. I would definitely make a pros and cons list as this helped me to choose and hopefully you might feel a bit clearer on where you want to choose!

I hope this helps!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador :smile:
Thanks in advance

Hi there,

For me I did get that feeling when I went to Sunderland for the first time, but I did also love York where I also got a place. The decision for me came down to the location and the proximity to my family. I wanted to stay local so that's what swayed the decision for me.
You could always try and visit the cities again and see which you prefer.

I hope this helps and good luck with your decision!

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Thanks in advance

Hey @Sklkillsme,

So my experience was a bit different as it was during Covid times which meant I couldn't actually go to the different university options and had to experience the tours virtually. I was able to visit Edge Hill a number of times though and this was done to help facilitate my decision but also due to conditions changing with Covid such as being able to get a proper tour of the place and meet potentially future lecturers.

However, when I did further research on my other university options I realised that I would not like being in a class of 100 or more people and instead it being much more close knit and provide the ability to get to know everyone. I also figured out one of my options was city based and after seeing Edge Hill in person I realised that wasn't for me.

I did feel like I got the 'feeling' however I find that was more a sense of I could see myself there for the next three years and felt comfortable.

I would recommend maybe trying to see if there is a a chat to students function as this may provide you with a more personal insight into the student life at that university and maybe see if their is anyone who is doing the same course or within the same department as this can give an idea on what your experience could be for your degree.

If it is possible I would maybe try and see both options again and see how you feel once there and maybe make any notes whilst there that you think may be useful. After seeing both you could then create a pro's and con's list and see which kind of things you value more to give a bit of an idea.

Hopefully that helps!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards
Thanks in advance

Hi there,

I visited both my firm (Chester) and insurance (Worcester) universities.

When I was in Chester, I attended an open day and then spent the day in the city, which I think helped solidify my decision. I absolutely loved the campus and the people, was excited for the course, and could see myself in the city too. When I visited Worcester, I didn't attend an applicant or open day, but instead just walked around the city and part of the campus. I think this made me less excited for that option, but I still really loved the city.

I would definitely say I felt like Chester was for me, but I was also wondering in the back of my mind as to whether it was the right choice. I think everyone has those thoughts (even a little), so it is totally normal.

For some people, it will be an easy choice that comes pretty quickly. For others, it takes some time. I'd encourage everyone to attend an open/applicant day if they can, as it really helps you get a feel for what the campus is like. Spend some time in the town/city and see if you could imagine yourself living there. Make a pros and cons list, as this can really help you to get all of your ideas and preferences down, and there are many things you need to consider in a university.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
i kinda got the feeling in reverse. the first uni i visited york and i hated it SO much. it made me reconsider whether i even wanted to go to uni. but i visited my two top choices and was like… ok yeah this is more like it. it’s okay to have two choices that you love! does one have lower entry requirements than the other? do they have any different modules?
Thanks in advance

Hello!

I personally did get that feeling when I came and visited Lancaster for the first time, and when visiting other universities I was constantly comparing it to Lancaster in my head and I loved the campus. Lancaster is a good distance from home for me and I loved the feel of the department and Lancaster offered a course that I hadn't heard of anywhere else that focused on what I enjoy studying. It has turned out to be the perfect university for me, I have made great friends, joined societies and I am loving my course. Don't worry if you didn't get 'that feeling' when visiting a university but I would recommend carefully considering which university you would enjoy going to more. I would look at everything between Leeds and Southampton including how far you want to be from home, the accommodation and the modules on each of the courses. You are going to spend the next 3-4 years living here so you want it to be the right choice for you!

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have any more questions,
Thanks, Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hi there,

Similar to the student from Edge Hill my experience was different due to it being Covid. This meant that a lot of my choices had to be made through the quality of the online open days as well as remembering what the cities of York and Winchester were like from when I had visited with family. However, I was able to go and see part of the universities when I was invited to decision days and tours at the universities I was considering. When I visited both of the universities I liked them both and could see myself studying at both of them. At the end of it my decision on which university I went to can down to how the course was assessed. I don't do well in exams so it was important that exams was a smaller percentage of the assessment for me. I choose York St John because my assessment is 100% course work compared to a 40-60 split at Winchester.

I would recommend looking at the course at both of the universities and making a pro/con list of both but also think about the assessment style which you do better in and what sort of modules take your interest the most. And as others have said maybe visit both of the cities again to see which one you may see yourself living in for the next few years as the first visit especially as an open day can feel so rushed and overwhelming that you might not have noticed things you liked or didn't like about the city. It could also be worth looking at the price difference for both of the cities if you still don't mind which university you go to as this could help make the decision and really tailor the university experience which you may have.

I hope this helps 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador
Hello,

I think when picking a university , It is vital to not only look at the course, but the university ,and city itself.

For me, I wanted to study medicine in a university with early patient experience and my uni offered that. The uni was also set in Preston which is 50 minutes away from Manchester (a big city + airport). I also wanted a university that has a lot of different students, to allow me to make friends and meet people from all over the world.

I think making a pros and cons list should help, otherwise pick a choice and see how you feel!

Best of luck,
Haya
Thanks in advance

Hey! Not everybody gets that feeling. I didn’t, because I just chose the uni that was closest to home due to my circumstances meaning I needed to be a commuting student. Other people may not get the feeling because they’re very aware that they’re attending uni for the academic degree and not for the social aspect.

If you’ve checked out student events, placements on your courses, what modules you’d study etc. down to the specifics and you still don’t have a preference between either uni, maybe have a look at accommodation prices as those can vary greatly between different places.

I hope this helps!

Estelle
Third Year Pyschology
University of Huddersfield
Thanks in advance

Hi @Sklkillsme!

First off, it's a great sign that you liked both universities when you went to visit - regardless of which university you ultimately choose, I bet you'll settle in just fine. 🙃

As some of the above users have pointed out, not everyone necessarily gets 'the feeling' when they visit their chosen universities. That's perfectly okay! Sometimes, a couple of hours or even a few days simply isn't enough time to know if that university is going to be perfect for you. Try drawing up a list of the things you want most out of attending university - e.g. particular societies, smaller lecture sizes, affordable nightlife - and see which university best aligns with your personal preferences.

Kingston was the perfect university for me: it had a good mix of city/suburban life, was relatively affordable in comparison to central London, and had an excellent course (BA Fine Art and Art History) that suited my exact interests. When I visited for an applicant experience day, I instantly knew I liked the university and wanted to spend more time exploring the surrounding area - but I don't know if it was 'the feeling' more than just feeling comfortable around the tutors and other applicants. Ultimately, I'm glad I went, and can confidently say I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Best of luck with your decision - no matter what, you'll do great!
Eve (Kingston Rep).
(edited 1 week ago)
Hey there!

Not everyone gets that feeling- don't worry!

For me, I had three university choices, which from initial application I liked a similar amount. I looked through the detailed course outlines and that lead me to one uni over the other two. It is super important to consider if you are more of a coursework over exams person, or what kind of content you're interested in, as that can help make the decision 🙂

I then visited my second choice university and, although it was a lovely place, it definitely was not for me. I then attended an offer holder day at the uni I attend now and felt really inspired. I chatted to the lecturers and current students and felt drawn to the campus. I spent some time in the local area too and fell in love with it.

Both of those unis you have chosen are great and in beautiful cities. Have you visited either of them? There are probably offer holder days coming up if you have the chance to go, I would defo recommend that!

I am sure that you will be amazing, wherever you end up! Just make the decision for YOU, and what you feel is right for you!

All the best,

Lucy
2nd year languages student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending