The Student Room Group

ChatGPT on assignments

hi, so i have left my assignments to last minute and I have used chatgpt to aid me to get them done. I have used every ai check and changed words to sound human. Do you think that I will be caught? Please respond

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hope that you are.
Original post by Anonymous
hi, so i have left my assignments to last minute and I have used chatgpt to aid me to get them done. I have used every ai check and changed words to sound human. Do you think that I will be caught? Please respond

its not an academic essay without proper references (that exist) :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Chronoscope
its not an academic essay without proper references (that exist) :smile:

i searched them up,

they do
Reply 4
It’s malpractice so if it’s discovered in moderation (if you’re doing an exam overseen by the JCQ) or marking, you could get into serious trouble.
Reply 5
Original post by spiral22
It’s malpractice so if it’s discovered in moderation (if you’re doing an exam overseen by the JCQ) or marking, you could get into serious trouble.

what if i just deny it everytime?
Reply 6
Uni degrees used to have a tiny amount of coursework and nice 95% weighted 3 to 4 hour exams at the end of each year. Gradually the way in which students were assessed became a more equal mix of coursework and exams. People like you who are effectively cheating may well cause a swing back to old methods. Think about it next time you decide to cheat!!
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
I hope that you are.

Couldn’t help but giggle at this mean comment.
Reply 8
Original post by Euapp
Uni degrees used to have a tiny amount of coursework and nice 95% weighted 3 to 4 hour exams at the end of each year. Gradually the way in which students were assessed became a more equal mix of coursework and exams. People like you who are effectively cheating may well cause a swing back to old methods. Think about it next time you decide to cheat!!

this is my first time only
Reply 9
what if i just deny it everytime?

I’d imagine they would need to put it through their tools to ensure that it’s been plagiarised. The awarding body have tools to detect this. If you deny it, you must have some evidence to counteract this such as sourcing. If you can’t prove that you did nothing wrong, the awarding body can choose to take further action against you if they believe you are lying.
Reply 10
Original post by spiral22
I’d imagine they would need to put it through their tools to ensure that it’s been plagiarised. The awarding body have tools to detect this. If you deny it, you must have some evidence to counteract this such as sourcing. If you can’t prove that you did nothing wrong, the awarding body can choose to take further action against you if they believe you are lying.

ive check google scholar for some of the references and they show up
Reply 11
this is my first time only

I can see the temptation to do it and understand your motives but this type of AI really does require some sort of control in academic circles otherwise the whole idea of course work becomes pointless.
I’m not wishing that you get caught, but I am hoping that you realise the consequences that this kind of use of chatgpt will have on assessment methods in the future.
Reply 12
Original post by LegalTom
Couldn’t help but giggle at this mean comment.

On the contrary - the comment is made in the spirit of fairness.

I am an academic and I hate cheats.
Reply 13
Chatgpt, and indeed, any AI is better used as a way to generate ideas and frameworks for what you are about to write. Remember, University is not about getting the right marks. It's about getting the right 'smarts'. In other words, the experience of university is all about becoming a scholar in your field. You are training your own brain. If you just use AI to create the work, and to get the marks, then what will you do when you are in the professional world and a client has a problem that you got good marks in, but you don't really understand? Will you ask ChatGPT to consult with the client? And if you answered "Sure, why not?", then what do we actually need you in that profession for? We could just use ChatGPT and put you on unemployment benefits.

Please, do the work. Don't wait till the last minute. Be diligent. Put the time and work in. Develop your own brain and skillset. Ask yourself this: "Would I want the brain surgeon that's about to open my skull to have perfect scores at Medical school because they used ChatGPT to do all of their work?"
ive found the best way to use chatgpt, feed it your own writing so that gpt learns from you, this will allow it to adapt its outputs and responses to your writing style. i just submitted my dissertation with 90% AI use for my computing field degree. turnitin shows 10% similarity score. whos winning now? now i can focus on growing my business while this degree is my plan B in life.

You should avoid these AI platforms and do your own research. A friend of mine got into serious trouble for using the Chatgpt thing so he had to discontinue with his studies. It just doesn't matter what AI checker you use, you'll still be caught.
Wishing you all the best anyways.
Original post by chat_gpt_user
ive found the best way to use chatgpt, feed it your own writing so that gpt learns from you, this will allow it to adapt its outputs and responses to your writing style. i just submitted my dissertation with 90% AI use for my computing field degree. turnitin shows 10% similarity score. whos winning now? now i can focus on growing my business while this degree is my plan B in life.

Wishing you all the best with the gpt thing
Reply 17
Turnitin now has a new feature, a separate AI score. It might be a bit primitive at the moment but this feature will get better.
Reply 18
if you use chatgpt or any ai, use if for the main ideas of the essay, and then use that to write it
Reply 19
Original post by beefreya
if you use chatgpt or any ai, use if for the main ideas of the essay, and then use that to write it

This is going to lead to a homogenisation of how we express our ideas.

It will mean that two groups of students will emerge. Those who take the trouble to formulate their own essay / report structures and show independent thinking and originality of thought and who will develop their analytical abilities. And those who use AI apps to give them a foundation and then fill in the dots and become reliant on this technology to the point that they won't be able to do basic essay planning.

The more I read about this, the more I am in favour of a return to exam condition assessments.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending