The Student Room Group

University of Sheffield Student Life 2024

Hi there,

My name is Lydia, I am a recent graduate from the University of Sheffield:smile:
I graduated in English Literature in 2021, and spent my time as a student living in Sheffield. I now work as a Student Recruitment Assistant for the University of Sheffield, and I'm open to answering any questions you may have as prospective Sheffield students! These questions can be to do with any part of student life...for example, what do I need to pack for my first year accommodation?? What clubs/societies should I join? What events should I attend in Freshers?
Feel free to ask me anything, and I will do my best to answer!!

Best wishes,
Lydia
When choosing between city accommodation or Ranmoor and Endcliffe which one did you choose and why as I want to weigh up the pros and cons of each
Original post by Dylanh167
When choosing between city accommodation or Ranmoor and Endcliffe which one did you choose and why as I want to weigh up the pros and cons of each

Hello!
Great question. My personal preference was Endcliffe - as this felt the most sociable place. Most of our students opt to live in Endcliffe, typically in blocks such as Froggat and Derwent. I was in Curbar, which is located right at the edge of the village, closest to Endcliffe Park. This was a slightly quieter block. However, I had close friends in Derwent who I visited quite a lot as they were just on my door step. That is what I liked about Endcliffe, all your friends are extremely close by! Ranmoor is slightly smaller and therefore slightly quieter. I did not know many students who lived in City accommodation - however the benefits of these flats are that they are right on the doorstep of the uni's campus, where as Endcliffe/Ranmoor are a slight walk. This was never an issue for me, I enjoyed the walk to campus, but it may impact your decision.
Best of luck with making your decision - I hope this has been helpful!

Lydia
University of Sheffield alumni
Reply 3
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hello!
Great question. My personal preference was Endcliffe - as this felt the most sociable place. Most of our students opt to live in Endcliffe, typically in blocks such as Froggat and Derwent. I was in Curbar, which is located right at the edge of the village, closest to Endcliffe Park. This was a slightly quieter block. However, I had close friends in Derwent who I visited quite a lot as they were just on my door step. That is what I liked about Endcliffe, all your friends are extremely close by! Ranmoor is slightly smaller and therefore slightly quieter. I did not know many students who lived in City accommodation - however the benefits of these flats are that they are right on the doorstep of the uni's campus, where as Endcliffe/Ranmoor are a slight walk. This was never an issue for me, I enjoyed the walk to campus, but it may impact your decision.
Best of luck with making your decision - I hope this has been helpful!
Lydia
University of Sheffield alumni

hi! Useful info- thanks.. I want to book endcliffe- either howden or rivelin but on muse ive only got ranmoor- others have been able to book for endcliffe. Do you know why this is- and do you know how long it takes for new blocks to release??
Original post by ro61x
hi! Useful info- thanks.. I want to book endcliffe- either howden or rivelin but on muse ive only got ranmoor- others have been able to book for endcliffe. Do you know why this is- and do you know how long it takes for new blocks to release??

Hey!

Unfortunately I can't give you a specific timeframe for the blocks being released but they will definitely be releasing more blocks and flats across the accommodation sites as time passes. They release them in waves to ensure all of the 'good' options don't get taken up immediately and to make the process as fair as they can for everyone; I would recommend keeping an eye on things to catch blocks early as they are being released. I stayed in Rivelin in my first year so feel free to ask me any questions you have about it 🙂

Ellie (3rd year English Language and Linguistics student)
Original post by ro61x

Hi there,

Don't worry that your ideal flat has not become available just yet! From my experience, I contacted the accommodation team when this occurred to me, to ask when the flats I liked in Endcliffe would become available. I do not work within the accommodation team, and therefore without contacting them directly, I would not be able to give you an accurate timeframe.

I am sorry I cannot be of further assistance, but I hope myself and Ellie (student at TUOS) have given you some reassurance with your application!

Best wishes
Lydia
Reply 6
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi there,
My name is Lydia, I am a recent graduate from the University of Sheffield:smile:
I graduated in English Literature in 2021, and spent my time as a student living in Sheffield. I now work as a Student Recruitment Assistant for the University of Sheffield, and I'm open to answering any questions you may have as prospective Sheffield students! These questions can be to do with any part of student life...for example, what do I need to pack for my first year accommodation?? What clubs/societies should I join? What events should I attend in Freshers?
Feel free to ask me anything, and I will do my best to answer!!
Best wishes,
Lydia

I'm hoping to apply for law at Sheffield for 2025 entry and I really like the look of the course and the uni! My only concern is in regards to diversity. I am a BAME student from London and I'm worried that the student population at Sheffield may not be diverse enough for me. Would you say that Sheffield as both a city and a uni is diverse? What can I do as a student to make my experience there one where I don't feel isolated? I'd also like to know a bit more about how accommodation works at Sheffield, as I looked online and found it confusing. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some insight so I can get a feel for whether Sheffield is a fit for me. I'm planning to attend the open day in either July, September or October. Which of these months would be better to visit (e.g. which is less busy, which open days get booked up quickly etc.) and what would you recommend doing on the open day as a prospective student?
Original post by bibachu
I'm hoping to apply for law at Sheffield for 2025 entry and I really like the look of the course and the uni! My only concern is in regards to diversity. I am a BAME student from London and I'm worried that the student population at Sheffield may not be diverse enough for me. Would you say that Sheffield as both a city and a uni is diverse? What can I do as a student to make my experience there one where I don't feel isolated? I'd also like to know a bit more about how accommodation works at Sheffield, as I looked online and found it confusing. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some insight so I can get a feel for whether Sheffield is a fit for me. I'm planning to attend the open day in either July, September or October. Which of these months would be better to visit (e.g. which is less busy, which open days get booked up quickly etc.) and what would you recommend doing on the open day as a prospective student?

Hi,
I have found Sheffield to be a diverse place. There are roughly 60,000 students in Sheffield, split between the two universities.
You might find this page helpful to look at, https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/inclusion
Whilst you are a student here, I would recommend joining as many societies as you can and really getting involved in what is going on. This will allow you to meet lots of people and give you more opportunities to make friends.
After you have gotten an offer from Sheffield, you will be given a log in to MUSE, this will then allow you to select which accommodation you want to live in, however, the different accommodation blocks are released in waves so that it is a fairer process.
Any of the open days would be a good time to visit, I'm not sure which will get booked up the fastest or will be the busiest. You could email the uni, their email is on the open days page here, https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit/open-day-faqs
What subject are you looking to study? Some subjects will run multiple taster sessions if they are really popular and the sessions can be moved to larger lecture theatres if lots of people book on.
On an open day, I'd recommend doing a campus tour, library tours and accommodation tour, as well as a subject taster. Also, allow yourself some time to just wander around and get a feel for the city and university.
Hope this helps, if you have more questions feel free to ask.
Lizzie (3rd year BSc Mathematics and Philosophy - University of Sheffield)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending