The Student Room Group

Moving very far away for Uni

Hi! I’ve received an offer from a great uni that I didn’t believe I’d actually get an offer from, however I have. Now I can actually consider this university I am conflicted as it is VERY far away from home. If anyone has moved far away from home, would you recommend it/ how do you find it? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi! I’ve received an offer from a great uni that I didn’t believe I’d actually get an offer from, however I have. Now I can actually consider this university I am conflicted as it is VERY far away from home. If anyone has moved far away from home, would you recommend it/ how do you find it? Thanks :smile:

What do you call 'very far'?
Original post by Muttley79
What do you call 'very far'?

6 hours by train not including changing trains etc
Original post by Foxystudys
6 hours by train not including changing trains etc

I went about that far away - didn;t want my parents 'dropping in' when they felt like it. I just went home for the holidays. I would recommend it ... you can't just go home and are more committed to making friends.
Original post by Muttley79
I went about that far away - didn;t want my parents 'dropping in' when they felt like it. I just went home for the holidays. I would recommend it ... you can't just go home and are more committed to making friends.

Yeah I think it would make me more social etc which is definitely a plus, how did you find moving in if you don’t mind me asking.. just worried about lugging all of my stuff to another country then forgetting things haha. :smile:
Original post by Foxystudys
Yeah I think it would make me more social etc which is definitely a plus, how did you find moving in if you don’t mind me asking.. just worried about lugging all of my stuff to another country then forgetting things haha. :smile:

My parents took me in their car. I left stuff over the holidays apart from the summer when they picked me up. Anything you forget you can usually buy locally.
Hi Anon!

I also moved quite far from home (not quite as far but still) for me it was great as it stops you from just jumping back and forth all the time which isn't great, especially at the start of first year when you're trying to adapt to living by yourself.

I generally ended up just popping back for holidays and the occasional reading week which is really nice and I don't feel stranded here at all. I think it depends on you and your preferences but if you want to feel really independent and you don't want to be back every weekend (which as a rule I wouldn't recommend anyway) then I think it's if anything a pro rather than a con.

What I'd say overall is to weigh up other things as well as the distance, if this is your perfect university in every other aspect then I'd say go for it. If it's close between this uni and another for which you prefer but the other is closer and you'd feel more comfortable then that's a decision to be made.

I'd also have a look at any bursaries at the university. At Heriot-Watt RUK (rest of UK) students get a £1,500 bursary the first year to help cover travel costs and help you get back home when needed. This certainly helped ease my worries when moving up and maybe the place you are looking at will have something similar.

I hope this helps a little and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask! 🙂

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hi Anon :smile:
As an international student here in the UK, I know a bit on moving away from home. Homesickness can be a real pain sometimes, yet an opportunity to pursuit your dreams and going to prefer university outshines it, believe me. If you are sure of this uni and selected course, I say go for it.
With our phones it's easy to stay connected with families, and to be honest, sometimes a break is very nice.
Going back for holidays in common, yet be mindful of the travel costs. I often look for student discounts and book trains or plane tickets earlier to get best price.

Feel free to ask anything more if needed :smile:
Zuza - UoB Student Rep
Hi Anonymous #1,

First of all, very well done and congratulations on your offer at this great uni you applied to! Which course and uni is it, also where would you be moving from, if you don't mind me asking? ^^

As for your question, I've been in a similar situation to you, as in moving countries, however not in the context of moving to study - but I ended up at uni regardless 😉 . I hope my insight will resonate with the answer you're looking for, so I'll share some of my opinion on the topic.
What I would say about the benefits of being far away from home - and not just the family itself, as one can live independently to start with and still, changing your familiar environment or even culture to an unknown one or even is a big and brave step. People, including myself, tend to come out of it more confident and mature than they had been before.

In my experience, moving countries has been a very helpful step to personal growth. Apart from the fact that you have to be independent (regardless of whether you're living in student or private-rented accomodation, especially in your case as you won't be able to pop home for the weekends) it makes you more resilient, and independent in the emotional sense as you'll have to deal with life on your own more. Throw in a different culture and/or language, and you'll be able to become more aware and comfortable to the diversity that's out there. And, of course, if this is a university that you have felt drawn to/worked hard to get in because you genuinely want to try it out, that is another pro reason to give it a go.
Of course, the positive aspects of living far from home might not come straight away, and it can be difficult and challenging, leaving one feel like things are becoming worse before they get better.
And, if it doesn't seem to work for you in the longer term for whatever reason - be it missing your loved ones too much, feeling overwhemlingly homesick, etc - you can always switch unis to somewhere closer, which is not always ideal, but not the end of the world either, if you're not too far in in your course.

Lastly, I wanted to ask if there is a chance for you to go for an open day at this uni, so that you can see it for yourself before committing to it? You mentioned how far it is and potentially quite expensive to get there, so it might not be an option, but if it is, that could be another factor that could help with your decision.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck and the very best generally, I believe you will make the right decision for yourself 🙂 .
And, if you feel like it, share the outcome with us, I'd me more than happy to hear about it ☺️

Viki
Student Ambassador
3rd year BSc Psychology and Sociology Student

Hi!

Whilst I didn't move that far in terms of physical distance, I did move from Belfast to London, so going home required at least a plane ride. This means I only really go home during holiday periods - and whilst I did feel a little isolated and homesick the first few weeks of first year, you'd be surprised how quickly you settle into university life!

Personally, I don't think distance should turn you away from potentially attending a university you might thrive at. Even if it seems a bit scary at first, moving away from home is a great opportunity to learn how to be an independent adult, and pick up certain skills (e.g. budgeting/cooking/etc.) you'll continually use throughout your life. If you do have the opportunity though, I'd definitely recommend attending an open/offer-holder day at this university - this might help give you an idea of whether or not that university area would be right for you.

Eve (Kingston Rep).
Original post by Heriot-Watt Uni
Hi Anon!
I also moved quite far from home (not quite as far but still) for me it was great as it stops you from just jumping back and forth all the time which isn't great, especially at the start of first year when you're trying to adapt to living by yourself.
I generally ended up just popping back for holidays and the occasional reading week which is really nice and I don't feel stranded here at all. I think it depends on you and your preferences but if you want to feel really independent and you don't want to be back every weekend (which as a rule I wouldn't recommend anyway) then I think it's if anything a pro rather than a con.
What I'd say overall is to weigh up other things as well as the distance, if this is your perfect university in every other aspect then I'd say go for it. If it's close between this uni and another for which you prefer but the other is closer and you'd feel more comfortable then that's a decision to be made.
I'd also have a look at any bursaries at the university. At Heriot-Watt RUK (rest of UK) students get a £1,500 bursary the first year to help cover travel costs and help you get back home when needed. This certainly helped ease my worries when moving up and maybe the place you are looking at will have something similar.
I hope this helps a little and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask! 🙂
- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hi! Thank you sm for the reply, I’m starting to feel a lot better about moving away 🙂 I’ll definitely look into the travel bursary as trains are very expensive haha. Ty!
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Hi Anonymous #1,
First of all, very well done and congratulations on your offer at this great uni you applied to! Which course and uni is it, also where would you be moving from, if you don't mind me asking? ^^
As for your question, I've been in a similar situation to you, as in moving countries, however not in the context of moving to study - but I ended up at uni regardless 😉 . I hope my insight will resonate with the answer you're looking for, so I'll share some of my opinion on the topic.
What I would say about the benefits of being far away from home - and not just the family itself, as one can live independently to start with and still, changing your familiar environment or even culture to an unknown one or even is a big and brave step. People, including myself, tend to come out of it more confident and mature than they had been before.
In my experience, moving countries has been a very helpful step to personal growth. Apart from the fact that you have to be independent (regardless of whether you're living in student or private-rented accomodation, especially in your case as you won't be able to pop home for the weekends) it makes you more resilient, and independent in the emotional sense as you'll have to deal with life on your own more. Throw in a different culture and/or language, and you'll be able to become more aware and comfortable to the diversity that's out there. And, of course, if this is a university that you have felt drawn to/worked hard to get in because you genuinely want to try it out, that is another pro reason to give it a go.
Of course, the positive aspects of living far from home might not come straight away, and it can be difficult and challenging, leaving one feel like things are becoming worse before they get better.
And, if it doesn't seem to work for you in the longer term for whatever reason - be it missing your loved ones too much, feeling overwhemlingly homesick, etc - you can always switch unis to somewhere closer, which is not always ideal, but not the end of the world either, if you're not too far in in your course.
Lastly, I wanted to ask if there is a chance for you to go for an open day at this uni, so that you can see it for yourself before committing to it? You mentioned how far it is and potentially quite expensive to get there, so it might not be an option, but if it is, that could be another factor that could help with your decision.
In any case, I wish you the best of luck and the very best generally, I believe you will make the right decision for yourself 🙂 .
And, if you feel like it, share the outcome with us, I'd me more than happy to hear about it ☺️
Viki
Student Ambassador
3rd year BSc Psychology and Sociology Student

Hi! Thank you for your reply! I’d be moving from the south of England to Uni of Glasgow in Scotland to study Politics. I’m visiting the campus for a tour as i missed the offer holder day sadly. Your advice and experience has really eased my nerves and the overall consensus from others has been positive about moving away from home. Ty again!
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi!
Whilst I didn't move that far in terms of physical distance, I did move from Belfast to London, so going home required at least a plane ride. This means I only really go home during holiday periods - and whilst I did feel a little isolated and homesick the first few weeks of first year, you'd be surprised how quickly you settle into university life!
Personally, I don't think distance should turn you away from potentially attending a university you might thrive at. Even if it seems a bit scary at first, moving away from home is a great opportunity to learn how to be an independent adult, and pick up certain skills (e.g. budgeting/cooking/etc.) you'll continually use throughout your life. If you do have the opportunity though, I'd definitely recommend attending an open/offer-holder day at this university - this might help give you an idea of whether or not that university area would be right for you.
Eve (Kingston Rep).

Thank you sm for your reply! Yes I’m in a similar boat with either a 6 hour train ride or hour flight at least to get home. But I’ve been thinking about how even if i go to my 2nd choice uni that’s still 3 hours away so what’s the difference realistically yk? Thank you for sharing your experience its helped a lot!
Original post by Anonymous

HI there,

This is a common dilemma when people move to uni but try not to worry too much about it!

University is a great opportunity and if you have worked hard to get into a specific uni then you need to consider accepting it! I understand that it is tough moving far away from home but you might really enjoy it so I think it is worth a try going there.

Remember you can FaceTime family and friends lots so that you don't feel too homesick and you are still in contact with everyone from home. It's also okay to go home and visit, although it may be harder as it is so far away and probably quite expensive to travel back and forth but the option would always be there is you felt you really needed to go home.

Your friends from home may also want to come and visit you for a weekend which would be nice and you can all go out and do things in a new city! Even if they don't come often, once or twice it would be really good!

As you have said, it may make you be more sociable as you will have to make friends as you won't know anybody from home. This is good as sometimes when people live in their home city for uni or know people that go to the same university as them, they don't make as much effort to make friends as they already have people they know. As you won't have this, you will naturally make more effort with people and make more friends! There will also be lots of people in the same position as you who have moved far away from home so you won't be the only one!

I hope some of this helps and good luck with the decision making :smile:

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Hey there 😀

Having journeyed from Poland to study in the UK, I often struggle with feelings of homesickness. Despite this, I would not change my decision as I cherish the adventure and personal growth that comes with embracing an independent life. This experience has fostered resourcefulness and responsibility within me and has opened me up to people. Coping with homesickness involves frequent visits home during term breaks and regular phone calls. Interestingly, distance has strengthened my familial bonds, fostering a deeper appreciation for our time together while allowing each of us to lead separate lives without undue interference. This independent journey through university life has diminished my fear of failure and boosted my self-confidence.

Another piece of advice I would like to share, building upon the above discussions and comments, is to avoid overpacking when making the move. I made the mistake of bringing too many belongings, only to find that much of it went unused. Instead, opt for purchasing essentials locally, such as kitchen or bathroom items, at affordable stores like Wilko. Unless you have assistance in transporting your belongings, there is no need to overthink packing; less is often more in this scenario.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Best of luck,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Hello,

As an international student, I moved across continents to come to university. At first, I experienced some home sickness. but very soon after my friends became family and uni became my new home.

I think there is a lot of advantages to moving far away, first you get to discover a new area and make new friends, second you have the option of going home whenever you feel like it, third you might find a place you love.

The most important thing is that if you ever feel homesick, know that support is available across different universities.

What aspect of moving away worries you the most?

Best of luck,
Haya- MBBSV

Hello,

Congratulations on your offer! This is an amazing opportunity to experience a different city in addition to going to uni. I'm an international student so I understand what it means to be miles away from home, you might feel homesick at first but it gets better with time. You're able to grow independently and learn how to be responsible for yourself, of course you meet different people, you see how it is to live in another country /city and you can always go back during the holidays. I would definitely recommend accepting the offer but make sure you're fully prepared and have everything ready as you won't have the liberty of going back and forth to take whatever you want. Hope you have an amazing year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending