The Student Room Group

Turkish A level

My first language is Turkish and I took maths, further maths, physics and computer science and I'm predicted A*s and As. Should I still do Turkish A level as my fifth
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

It's pretty cool to have a language for an A level, however it's not necessary with the number of subjects you are taking. If you are looking to go to university, they only require 3 A levels and having any extra is not considered. If anything, taking on a fifth A level is just spreading yourself really thin, which might affect your academic performance in the other subjects.

Personally, I wouldn't take on another A level even if it is a language one because you have a strong set of grades from the subjects you are doing. Just focus on those and get the best grades you can, despite Turkish being your first language. Also, if it's your first language you don't have to prove to others that you can speak, read and write it with a qualification. When you fill in applications and go to interviews it could be something you mention as a skill, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend taking on a fifth A level.

Sorry for rambling but I hope that was helpful!!!
Reply 2
Did you end up taking A Level Turkish? What resources do you use? Because there isn't a textbook to work with...
Original post by Levniz
My first language is Turkish and I took maths, further maths, physics and computer science and I'm predicted A*s and As. Should I still do Turkish A level as my fifth
…..
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
What is Turkish A Level like? Difficult for a non native?
Original post by Cemzino
I take it at my fourth as it is also my native language, it’s fine as a fourth but it may be too much workload as a fifth a level.
Original post by leoq
What is Turkish A Level like? Difficult for a non native?

I have been getting A’s all throughout Year 12 and 13, however it won’t be as easy for a non-native. The easiest way i can describe it is that it is essentially English literature but for Turkish. There’s 3 papers, paper 3 is the easiest. Paper 2 consists of two 45 markers one about a book and the other about a film. I do edexcel my teacher was given three books and three films, and she had to choose one to teach. You can either do two books or one book and one film. Paper 1 consists of translation (20 marks), i think 4 comprehension style questions where you’re given a short extract to read. Paper 3 consists of multiple choice questions at the start and comprehension style questions to answer whilst listening to an audio, and a 22 marker at the end. Essentially you won’t only be learning the language but also the culture, the politics, environmental issues etc. It’s a big jump from GCSE and i got a 9. However, I do advise that you try it out.
Original post by username5995505
I have been getting A’s all throughout Year 12 and 13, however it won’t be as easy for a non-native. The easiest way i can describe it is that it is essentially English literature but for Turkish. There’s 3 papers, paper 3 is the easiest. Paper 2 consists of two 45 markers one about a book and the other about a film. I do edexcel my teacher was given three books and three films, and she had to choose one to teach. You can either do two books or one book and one film. Paper 1 consists of translation (20 marks), i think 4 comprehension style questions where you’re given a short extract to read. Paper 3 consists of multiple choice questions at the start and comprehension style questions to answer whilst listening to an audio, and a 22 marker at the end. Essentially you won’t only be learning the language but also the culture, the politics, environmental issues etc. It’s a big jump from GCSE and i got a 9. However, I do advise that you try it out.

I’m doing Turkish a level. Where you mentioned in paper 2 about the book and the film, does the exam board select which one it is and also where can I find these resources. Did you do your research and work on this prior to the exam. I have no teacher so finding these resources might be difficult if not given. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest