The Student Room Group

EPQ veterinary ideas

Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 and about to start doing an EPQ project. I really want to study veterinary medicine at university so want it to be related. I know that it won't affect offers but it's a good research opportunity and something interesting to talk about in interviews on top of work experience.
Anyway, I'm finding it hard to come up with ideas because of how broad the subject is. I'm thinking maybe a current ethical issue to allow evaluation to be brought into it but then I like the science behind animal biology so would be interested in researching perhaps a specific case/disease, e.g. along the lines of fancy Noel Fitzpatrick things. However, I obviously don't want to end up with a report that's just facts - I think the idea of judgment/evaluation is really important. I'll try and do some extra reading and searching but would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction of current perhaps controversial topics within the veterinary industry or any other ideas?

Thank you! :smile:
In relation to Noel Fitzpatrick I think the use of bionic limbs in animals is a very good ethical/controversial thing to talk about. Naturally we as humans anthropomorphise animals and their ‘desires’ so many would believe sticking a biopic limb on animals like horses would benefit them when in reality could cause a lot of stress. The same for very activate working dogs, you would probably cause more stress but it’s a deep and emotive topic! It’s also a bit more niche than the standard ones of animal testing, badger culling etc.
Something also quite topical is the breeding of particularly dogs for fashion with Norway banning breeding cavaliers and English bulldogs due to the welfare concerns.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by elliedavies184
Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 and about to start doing an EPQ project. I really want to study veterinary medicine at university so want it to be related. I know that it won't affect offers but it's a good research opportunity and something interesting to talk about in interviews on top of work experience.
Anyway, I'm finding it hard to come up with ideas because of how broad the subject is. I'm thinking maybe a current ethical issue to allow evaluation to be brought into it but then I like the science behind animal biology so would be interested in researching perhaps a specific case/disease, e.g. along the lines of fancy Noel Fitzpatrick things. However, I obviously don't want to end up with a report that's just facts - I think the idea of judgment/evaluation is really important. I'll try and do some extra reading and searching but would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction of current perhaps controversial topics within the veterinary industry or any other ideas?

Thank you! :smile:

Hi I did my EPQ on something veterinary related to help me prepare for when I applied to vet school a few years back.
I ended up on doing mine on predisposed conditions in pedigree dogs and what can be done to prevent them so I got to look at current controversial topics heart disease in Cavelier King Charles Spaniels, hip dysplasia and BOAS and looking at solutions like breed health schemes, buying mixed breed dogs and not pedigrees and changing breeding conventions.
I really enjoyed it but if not maybe you could look at other veterinary issues like
- TB in cows and badger culling
- is it right to keep animals in zoos
- increasing productivity in dairy cows (and look at the welfare implications too)
- is enough being done to stop the spread of Avian Influenza (very topical at the moment)
Those are just a few of my suggestions feel free to pm me or discuss anything with me!
Reply 3
Thank you so much for your replies! I have decided to opt for exploring which is more responsible for causes of OCD in dogs and horse - genes or human influence, and how these behaviours can be reduced through the implementation of enrichment activities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending